All Border Collie Forums
Fighting BCs - Printable Version

+- All Border Collie Forums (http://www.allbordercollies.com)
+-- Forum: General Dog Discussion (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Fighting BCs (/thread-16422.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Fighting BCs - blackwell - 05-16-2017

I think I have brought this up before. Not sure,  so apologies if I have. 

But things aren't getting better 

WE have two BCS, both girls,  one 3 the other almost 2. 

When alone they are fine but when with us they sometimes have brutal fights. Twice in last week. 

WE think it's the older one protective of us. 

Anyone have suggestions how to deal with it? 

I Understand there's a hierarchy and all. But there must be a way to deal with this. , hopefully??

RE: Fighting BCs - Ember - 05-16-2017

Have you looked into finding an R+ behaviorist?

Just an FYI, I had Kairo and Ember here and never saw a "hierarchy". If they fought it was because one was getting on the other's nerves - Kairo was pushy but Ember knew what she did and didn't like and set Kairo right every time. But Kairo was the more outgoing one and the instigator.

One thing I would look for is if blood is being drawn.

Start a journal and journal each and every instance that happens. Find out what is the underlying issue (spacial breaching, warning signals being ignored / boundaries being pushed, possessive behaviors, etc). All of this will tell you something.

And please please please try to find a behaviorist.

RE: Fighting BCs - Gideon's mom - 05-16-2017

Do a search on resource guarding. You may be the resource that one of them is guarding to keep from the other one.

RE: Fighting BCs - blackwell - 05-16-2017

Oh I am fairly sure it is resource guarding, related to us the adults. If Murphy gets too close to one of us at the wrong time Maddie will attack.

But how do we deal with it?

RE: Fighting BCs - Ember - 05-16-2017

There is good information on that already on these boards. Just search resource guarding.

RE: Fighting BCs - blackwell - 05-17-2017

Ember before I forget I have used a dog behaviouralist, reputedly the best in Melbourne, and she was completely useless and cost me a small fortune.

RE: Fighting BCs - only-borders - 05-17-2017

Many times having a behavorist come to your home and walking you through what needs to be done can help more than reading or watching videos. 
They are trained and can pick up on the small details needed to correct the problem. Until you can get a handle on things you might want to keep them separated for both dogs safety.  

How can you be sure there is no fighting when they are alone? Do you have a camera rolling?

RE: Fighting BCs - Quirkydog - 05-17-2017

Just a question how do you know they are ok when you are not there?
Yes they are fighting over you, but chances are that is not the underlying problem.
Sorry to be a party pooper, girls not getting along is very difficult to resolve.
Get professional help because this needs hands on help. Good luck?

I am sure they are fine when we are not here.

We discussed it last night and we think we've identified the trigger. The recent surge in fighting has all been in the kitchen area and as it is winter now we've started eating in a different room at a coffee table which is lower to ground and we've had the dogs inside while we eat so we think the dogs are frustrated seeing us eat and maybe this is the spark, that is maybe Maddie is striking at Murphy because of competition for food. So we are going to eat in the dining room from now on and see if that changes things.

(05-17-2017, 04:29 AM)only-borders Wrote: Many times having a behavorist come to your home and walking you through what needs to be done can help more than reading or watching videos. 
They are trained and can pick up on the small details needed to correct the problem. Until you can get a handle on things you might want to keep them separated for both dogs safety.  

How can you be sure there is no fighting when they are alone? Do you have a camera rolling?

Because there's never any blood,  the neighbours never report it (and they'd hear it for sure), and often one if us or more are home and the dogs don't realise we are home and wE watch them and they never ever fight