Puppy coat
Hi! I'm new here and also new as a BC owner! I've googled almost everything but there are a few things I can't find.

My subject is general because I want to ask two questions with regard to a puppy's fur. First, how do I know if my puppy is a long or short hair BC? Attached are some pics of her! Her name is Honey. Her ears are hairy and her neck, but from her waist down she not that hairy.

My second question is, at what age do they start to change from puppy coat to adult coat? The third pic shows the back of my puppy where you can see puppy coat and a part that is becoming like an adult coat. I'm almost sure is just her loosing puppy hair but want to make sure it's not something else that needs to be taken care by the vet.

Thanks in advance for your replies! /cheer

Attached Files
.jpg   honey hair 2.jpg (Size: 84.29 KB / Downloads: 326)
.jpg   honey hair.jpg (Size: 94.76 KB / Downloads: 280)
.jpg   honey hair 3.jpg (Size: 611.66 KB / Downloads: 196)
XOXO, Snow, Honey and Buttercup /dogbite Heart /wag /wag

[Image: qYhzm4.png]b
Hi and welcome - very cute puppy you've got there. My pup Keira began to develop her adult fur from about 4-5 months old I think. She started off with a ridge of glossy fur along her back - just as shown in your photo. She had short fuzzy fluff just like your puppy and is now growing a nice glossy medium coat. I don't think their coats stop filling out until they're about two years old. It's very cute watching wisps begin to grow on their belly, back of the legs and tail.

Edit - my avatar and signature photos were taken when Keira was about 7 months old, her coat has thickened out a bit since then but it will never be big and fluffy like the show lines.
[Image: CSuU.png]
Harvey's coat came through after a bath on boxing day! I was gutted!!
So that was at 5 months old.
Harvey had maybe a little bit longer fluff than your girl and has now got a medium coat with no undercoat.
It is by no means show standard it is very wavy and does not look straight in the slightest!

I think your girl will either be short coated or medium coated like my boy Smile
[Image: smallerharveyimage.jpg]

[Image: zt29.png]
Usually the fluffy ears are the give away that it's a medium coat. Mine started getting adult coat at about 4 months with a stripe down their back and a ring around their upper tail, and didn't finish with a full coat until after their second shed at about 8-9 months old.
Gotta love 'em.
What coat did her parents have? If they were both rough coated then the puppy will be rough coated. My rough coats all got their coats between 5-6 months old.
[Image: 922e7bce-ce23-427a-94d6-5cf3b6563f6b.jpg]
My first puppy Sonny shed his puppy coat right around 4.5 months. At 5 months old all of his puppy fuzz had been replaced with a longer, coarse and curly hair. He's 6 months old now and still looks the same, but I'm sure it will continue to change a little bit since he's still young.

Spook is 15 weeks old and his coat isn't changing yet. He is a smooth coat. His fur is very sleek, unlike Sonny's which was kind of poofy and fuzzy. Honey looks fuzzier than my smooth boy so I would guess her to be a medium coat.
Looks like medium coat to me! Finn started out sort of fluffy then as he got a bit older I was thinking maybe it would be short coat but he eventually filled out to a nice medium coat. One of his parents were medium coat and one was rough coat, so yeah - what was her parents?
- Katrina, Finnigan & Tex
kglacer,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=136825#post136825 Wrote:Looks like medium coat to me! Finn started out sort of fluffy then as he got a bit older I was thinking maybe it would be short coat but he eventually filled out to a nice medium coat. One of his parents were medium coat and one was rough coat, so yeah - what was her parents?
Harvey and Finn must have been separated at birth! They have the exactly the same coat (as I see in pictures) and his parents were one medium and one rough coated lol!
[Image: smallerharveyimage.jpg]

[Image: zt29.png]
They were very similar in a lot of things growing up!! lol the wavy coat killed me at first I was always trying to brush it straight but now I have embraced it hehe
- Katrina, Finnigan & Tex
I would say medium coated because thats the way Karas' coat looked when she was just a little pup and it started changing around 4-5 months area. nice pup btw Smile
[Image: Karoo.jpg]

[Image: ZH6S.png]