Help with my puppy
#1
Hi my husband has recently bought a whippet puppy we've had him for a week. The issue we're having is he's having separation issues with my husband, every time he leaves the room the puppy cries and wees on the floor. We decided to buy him a crate and when he's put into it he cries, chews the bars and rips up the blankets in it. We haven't been able to go out together yet since getting him as we can't just leave him running around the house with zak, he's far too boisterous for zak who's been giving growls at him.
I really need help adjusting him to his crate, im wondering if the problem lays with him being held in the crate and not allowing him out before we bought him? Marley is 13 weeks old. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Reply
#2
I think if you do a search on seperation anxiety you will come up with several threads that describe what you do for it.
Gotta love 'em.
Reply
#3
Thank you. I've tried tonight to get him settled in his crate but his crying and howling just went on too long, he ended up in a right state which I don't like seeing any of my dog's in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Reply
#4
We went through this when we moved to our new home. Ari could not be alone in her kennel. I tried covering the kennel, playing music, using lavender, flower essences in her water, just about anything I could think of.

Until I started moving the kennel to different areas did she start to calm herself. Ari had been kennel trained as a pup and she was 5 when we moved. She has always had the other dogs next to her in their kennels but it didn't matter.
From start to finish it lasted about 3 months. I know how hard it can be on the dog and you. I also took out her bed and only left a towel in the bottom of her kennel. That she didn't chew.

Try everything you can think of, you never know what might work. Try putting a tight child's t shirt on the dog, a DAP diffuser or lavender on a cloth. You can also try feeding the dog in the kennel.

I do hope you can find something that works. Please keep us posted.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Reply
#5
Quote:We went through this when we moved to our new home. Ari could not be alone in her kennel. I tried covering the kennel, playing music, using lavender, flower essences in her water, just about anything I could think of.

Until I started moving the kennel to different areas did she start to calm herself. Ari had been kennel trained as a pup and she was 5 when we moved. She has always had the other dogs next to her in their kennels but it didn't matter.
From start to finish it lasted about 3 months. I know how hard it can be on the dog and you. I also took out her bed and only left a towel in the bottom of her kennel. That she didn't chew.

Try everything you can think of, you never know what might work. Try putting a tight child's t shirt on the dog, a DAP diffuser or lavender on a cloth. You can also try feeding the dog in the kennel.

I do hope you can find something that works. Please keep us posted.
Thank you, that's some great ideas.
We left him for the first time today for 10 minutes and when we got back the poor guy had wet his bed and was really shaking, we had left the tv on and zak with him but that made no difference. Tonight we've decided to put his crate next to our bed to see if that helps. There's also one thing i wanted to ask, zak growls and snaps at marley when he gets in his face? Is zak just checking the puppy or do we have something to worry about? Thank you again for your help on this as we've never been in this situation before.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Reply
#6
Sounds Like classic separation anxiety. Whippets are very different than border collies, they bond to their person very strongly and can have more of these type of issues because of that. Linda gave you great advice to try. But now...I insist on some pointy face pictures! Smile
[Image: ToddandFury1.jpg]
"Dog lovers are a good breed themselves"
~Gladys Taber
Reply
#7
Quote:Sounds Like classic separation anxiety. Whippets are very different than border collies, they bond to their person very strongly and can have more of these type of issues because of that. Linda gave you great advice to try. But now...I insist on some pointy face pictures! Smile
Thanks, here's a picture of marley[Image: se9utegu.jpg][Image: uzepuhed.jpg]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Reply
#8
OMG he is very cute.

Zak is letting Marley know he doesn't want to play the puppy games. I'm sure Zak will lighten up given some time. Until then try to give Zak a space where the pup can't go and do leave them alone. You don't want Zak to over correct the pup.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Reply
#9
Quote:OMG he is very cute.

Zak is letting Marley know he doesn't want to play the puppy games. I'm sure Zak will lighten up given some time. Until then try to give Zak a space where the pup can't go and do leave them alone. You don't want Zak to over correct the pup.
Thank you! We've been giving zak lots of space and he's been going out with me on his own. He only reacts when the puppy jumps on him or gets too excited, we've been intervening and moving the pup away.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Reply
#10
Some dogs really don't like thoughtless rowdy puppy behavior.
Gotta love 'em.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)