Muzzle?
Marley has been going out into my garden and eating everything! I've removed most of my plants but he still finds things to eat :eek: We even tried taking him out on his lead but he needs to be able to run around. So twice this week he's had bad diarrhoea keeping us up during the night. Would it be cruel to buy a muzzle to stop him eating? Just till he get's through this stage he's coming up for 6 months. Any help would be appreciated Lesley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I don't think a muzzle is cruel. We looked into one for Mia but it was to help with collar training and muzzle training would have been the same amount of work for her.

Sometimes Mia likes to eat grass and mud. We use leave it and when that doesn't work I just put my foot right next to her nose gently and stand on whatever she's attempting to eat. She will always give up.
[Image: y3sCp1.png]
My last dog suzie use to wear a muzzle in the garden as she was poisoned. I'm worried marley will make himself really ill, I've tried standing on what he's trying to eat, taking him away and saying no or just bringing him in but nothing is working. He's eating everything he can find and tonight he's unwell so he'll be going to see my vet tomorrow. Just thought if I use the muzzle for the garden at least i know he can't eat. Thanks

I don't like to leave my dogs in the yard unsupervised, ever, for various reasons (getting stolen, poisoning themselves, barking at dogs walking by, developing BC OCD behaviors like chasing clouds, etc.)
So I never let them out by themselves. We also have chickens that are partly free-ranging and I do not want them to eat chicken poop. So I am in kind of a similar situation.
What I do is just keep them super-engaged when outside, playing and doing tricks, chasing and hiding and running etc... teaches them that I am the funnest thing in the world Big Grin keeps them from eating dangerous stuff etc.
I probably would not let my dog unsupervised with a muzzle for safety reasons. But I don't think they are particularly cruel.

.jpg   P1050020 (640x480).jpg (Size: 243.64 KB / Downloads: 165)

This is Obi at about 5 months old. There was NOTHING he wouldn't eat when outside. It only took him a few days of wearing the muzzle off and on and working on "leave it" before the muzzle was no longer needed.

I did have to bring it out a few times just to show it to him but that's all it took.

We never leave the dogs out unattended. I used the muzzle only because I couldn't do anything but shadow him and I had work to do. Work on the "leave it" in and out as often as you can. It will sink in.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

We always watch the dog's but marley is just so quick, when he sees you coming he's off everything is a game. I just need something that stops him eating as he's getting a lot of tummy upset. Thanks

Quote:[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=8062]

This is Obi at about 5 months old. There was NOTHING he wouldn't eat when outside. It only took him a few days of wearing the muzzle off and on and working on "leave it" before the muzzle was no longer needed.

I did have to bring it out a few times just to show it to him but that's all it took.

We never leave the dogs out unattended. I used the muzzle only because I couldn't do anything but shadow him and I had work to do. Work on the "leave it" in and out as often as you can. It will sink in.
He's cute! I'll maybe give the muzzle a try and work more on leave it. Even when we play he runs along grabbing anything and eating it! It's hard to catch a Whippet lol he thinks everything is a game. I'm always there when they're both out it's just he's too quick.

There is a powder you can put down for dogs that like to eat poo...I wonder if that would help? I suppose if its the entire garden he wants to eat it might be a bit much to sprinkle the entire area.

I always wondered how bad that stuff must taste if its worse than poo lol
I've actually caught marley eating Zak's poo yuck! Since zak has been put on medicated food marley seems to be drawn too it so it's a race to get into the garden to pick it up before marley sees it. He eats anything and I mean anything :eek: We haven't got a muzzle yet as marley wasn't well with colitis last week the vet thinks it's a good idea to buy one so I'll need to pick one up. At the moment he needn't come to me wanting a kiss god knows where that mouth has been lol