rescue collie advice
Hi,

Dont know if anyone has any advice my dog will not tell anyone when he needs the toilet he is very good but unfortunately he is allergic to a few things which affect his tummy i have never had a dog that wouldnt go to the door or whine or indicste they need the toilet but he doesnt. I know what he has been througj and that he has been neglected but i want to help him any ideas of how to train a dog to let you know when they need to go? At the moment we are leaving oyr backdoor open and getting up in the night to let hin out if he has had a bad day
Hi there,

Mack doesn't tell us either SO we are just quite strict about taking/letting him out frequently.

Another forum user suggested training with bells tied to the door, or training to use a buzzer. It's worth a shot, else you may have to just continue being vigilant.

You might want to try some probiotics to strengthen his gut. When Mack has a tummy upset (always had a sensitive tummy) we fo a short course of Yumipro til he's back on track.
I taught my dog to ring a bell hung on the back door before I let him out. He just bumps it with his nose and I immediately tell him good boy and get up and let him out.

I have a few friends that got the Staples "That's Easy." button and taught their dog to paw it to indicate wanting to go out.
Gotta love 'em.
I would suggest you go back to basics and treat him like a pup. Let him out every hour during the day. Leaving a door open won't teach him to let you know when he needs to go out.

At 7 years old he should be able to sleep through the night without going out. Have you had him to the vet for a check up? What have you found that he is allergic to?
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]