Bronze Test Success
After completing her 8 week Puppy Class we signed Bronwen up for the 8 week Kennel Club Good Citizen bronze course. Whilst her training has been great at home in class with other people and dogs, who, in Bronwen's mind all want to be her friend, its been hit and miss. We've particularly struggled with getting a 'stay' over about 10s and also for walking on slack lead weaving in and out of people and other dogs. So, in all honesty, I didn't hold great hopes for her passing her exam tonight. But she was much calmer than normal for some reason tonight, she let me groom her, managed the full 1min stay and walked on a slack lead withpout chewing my ankle or hand. Definitely going to sign up for the Silver course when it starts in January as she enjoys the classes and I find them informative and helpful.

Waiting patiently for her turn
[Image: 30108099684_e57bd75d96_z.jpg]

Graduation certificates and rosettes for both her puppy class and her Bronze Test
[Image: 30108098744_e138431715_z.jpg]
Congrats! Seems like she knew exactly when to shine Wink
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Congratulations !

You can't expect a dog to go from working at home to working in a group, club setting. It is way too big a step.
Start training in different rooms of your house, start adding gradual distractions. Take it outside in your garden no distractions, build up distractions. Take it to the front of your house, no distractions,, then build in distractions. Take it to more interesting places. You get the picture
OMG look at how grown up she is. Congrats on the accomplishments. /bacon
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

She does look more grown than when you last posted pics. They grow too fast... Great job to you both! /snoopy
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
Btw
You are doing a great job with her and having fun
Quirkydog,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=189277#post189277 Wrote:Congratulations !

You can't expect a dog to go from working at home to working in a group, club setting. It is way too big a step.
Start training in different rooms of your house, start adding gradual distractions. Take it outside in your garden no distractions, build up distractions. Take it to the front of your house, no distractions,, then build in distractions. Take it to more interesting places. You get the picture

Thanks.

And that's what we have been doing but it seemed when she was at class she saw it as play time as most of the dogs there she'd been seeing weekly since 8 weeks old at puppy class. She also gets bored doing the same exercise over and over - she's like 'I've shown you can sit 5 times in a row now, its boring, can we do something else? I'm off to play with Gus!' LOL She's pretty good at most of her commandss when we're out walking or taking her out with her sister.
Yes I don't do repetitive stuff. To be honest I check out before the dog. Lol
When I teach I really encourage people not to be repetitive. To work on at least 3 things and one a fun thing, ie a spin or hand target.
This also has the advantage of the dog needing to stay focused on us because they don't know what we will ask next.
If I am working on something new. I will grab 10 treats, when they are gone I do something else for a bit, then return to,what I want to train
To be fair to the class teacher she does similar but Bronwen sees 'Sit' 'Down', 'Stand', 'Spin' etc the same way so even mixing them up her attention wanders quickly. In class after the first few run through's of her repertoire she loses focus unless I throw something new in which can be difficult in a group situation (due in part to my lack of imagination haha). Last night I kept her focused sitting on the floor with her getting her to Hi 5 with one paw (that she does really well) and then to 'give me skin' with the other paw. That plus plenty of cheese rewards (she only gets the really good stuff in class) kept her focused and calm enough to not get bored when doing what she see's as basics when she was being assessed (And I realize that some o my language about her is a little anthropomorphic but it does fit with her behaviours). I'll try the 10 treats thing, thanks Smile

I think part of the issue is her off switch is still malfunctioning LOL. Everyone else is posting FB pics of their dogs crashed out after class, meanwhile mine is hyper and bouncing off the walls! She has boundless energy for mental tasks - more so than the physical activity weirdly. I can wear her out for hours with a decent walk, training with her and she soaks it up like a sponge and wants to keep going on. Any hints & tips in how to deal with this would be great Big Grin
Not sure... each dog is different... with Keller I go through his stuff faster and throw play in as reward instead of food. I find simple tricks to add in or create one out of a behavior he does. I took paw which means offer left paw and upped it to wave hi. Foot opposite side means good bye. Flip and flop rolling one side or other. There are books of tricks I like Kyra Sundance. Then there is all the beginner skills for all the sports people here do. Most of all I need to remind myself not to undo the off switch by feeling guilty with the looks he gives me. I don't need to keep him. Busy all the time. He enjoys just being with me no matter what I am doing. I have come to realize that part of his enthusiasm for training is his sheer love of my undivided attention. Which a lot of dogs love almost as much or more than a ball or walking.