Finally Taught Ember "Spin"!
You guys have no clue how difficult it was! Spin is a hard one because no matter what method you use to teach it, you ALWAYS have to reach over the head at some point. Ember consistently, without fail, would start to walk then flop to her side, back leg up.

So I had to teach this slowly. And by slowly, I mean trying it one or two times with weeks between, and then immediately switch to a game she loves, like Target.

Something finally clicked in her head this past month, and as long as I switched the fun game, she actually allowed me to start going back and trying Spin again after getting her ramped up with Target. Suddenly, she was making the full circle, slowly and carefully and even a little squinty - but without flopping over.

So I transitioned to requiring it to get her dinner. And boy, let me tell you, this dog will WORK for that bowl! I started with just asking for a spin, and if she even attempted it without flopping over, she got her bowl - if she didn't, she had to do a quick rotation through her known cues instead. It worked out because where she got worried, I immediately gave her something she knew, and she started putting things together on her own.

Today, I was fixing her bowl, and walked around the corner to start our routine - and this mutt is already circling, quite quickly! She circled once, looked at me and waited a split second, then circled again faster. I laughed so hard - it looked like she was literally dancing for her food - I couldn't put it down fast enough!

I will get a video of her known cues before Christmas (as our 1 year this-is-what-we-learned recap).

It's not perfect yet - still need the hand signal. But our signal is nothing more than a flick of my wrist now.

I know some of you realize the implications of this - I am well on my way to being able to teach her all kinds of things that make scary movements more fun!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Grear to hear, congratulations! Bouncing
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
2 days to class, yes!! Are you excited?
Oh my goodness QD You have no idea! I just came across the Boogieman course as well. I am seriously considering the Silver for that one to get something hands on - but I had to email the instructor first.

I just checked all the forums and was rather disappointed it hadn't started already!

Giggle

Congratulations! My first BC, Tasha, I brought home at nine weeks. If I want to teach her something it is kind of like, "Please, give me 10 minutes and we will have this". Mattie is my rescue and came with a million fears. Everything was scary (except thunder and fireworks..no kidding..). Teaching Mattie anything is a major struggle especially since I know she is just as smart at Tasha. It took me a year to teach her "down". Now I need a little credit because with all of Mattie's fears "down" wasn't really all that important but it taught me to be really patient and to wait for when my pup was ready. Does Ember act really happy when she learns something new? Mattie is always beside herself with happiness when she knows she has accomplished something, it is just so cute.
I haven't seen that "wow I got it" click in HER brain yet. I've tried to make it so rewarding and fun, but she still does a lot just because I ask. But once she does get it, she GETS it, and I don't have to do any more training on it. Right now its still a matter of finding the right treats for her, she's just so unmotivated (or shoots straight to over-threshold - there is no between).

Ember is the exact same way fear wise - scared of keys, scared of movement, doesn't like people - but will completely ignore thunder like it's the most natural sound in the world. Backfiring cars and distant guns aren't a problem either. But dropping keys sends her packing.

Sometimes Ember they release lessons and info early
I keep checking QD!

I had a little early release yesterday, I felt like a kid who got an early Xmas present.
One more day though, Yeah