Ember: Best Training Night to Date
We had the best training night ever! I mixed three Fenzi classes all together in one. I did this because after reading Denise Fenzi's "Training the Dog in Front of You" book, I realized Ember would prosper under a constantly changing regimen of short spurts. And I'm also trying to figure out how to make it FUN for her with no pressure.

This is THE SINGLE MOST ENGAGEMENT I've had from my dog in one sitting. She constantly "displaces" (scratching, she does it twice here, but then seems to change her mind about avoiding me last second). Usually after scratching she runs straight to the couch (or flat on her back). This is the first time I've ever seen her chose me over making either move.

She also choses to go flat 80% of the time - you can also see here the first time she started to go flat then seemed to change her mind mid motion. That's another huge thing! I just need to figure out how to stop it completely. It looks like she thinks targeting the matt requires a down. This is how she handles a lot of new commands that happen near the floor.

We only worked for about 7 minutes. These are the highlights from that session.

The freaking out dog is Kairo crated off to the side. I told ya'll she had major separation issues. At one point she was even trying to dig out of the crate. Thankfully Ember didn't seem to mind - she noted it once and moved on.

A note on the play here - the last session, you can see that she spends most of her time laying out on the floor or on her back. This is also where I usually lose her to the couch or a bedroom (if a gate hadn't been up). I've been told this is also another sign of pressure, and I'm really hoping to learn how to work all of this out.

I'm amazed by how happy and engaged she looks in the video. It doesn't feel like this in real life. I feel like I am fighting for her attention 80% of the time. Even while filming this, I was conscious of every movement I made in order to not send her flat. It's not as fun for me as it looks, but I really want it to be. It's hard to have fun when you have to "crawl" on eggshells.

I can't wait for the day that I get to let loose and have fun without thinking of how my dog will react to my energy.

[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Wow! She has improved SOOOOOO much! She was really engaging you there and she only went submissive a few times and recovered quickly. She seems to think you want that and then suddenly remembers that no, that isn't actually what you want, but she isn't shutting down when she realizes she got something wrong. I think you will see a lot of improvement on that very soon, since she is starting to put it together.
Gotta love 'em.
I have watched this video three times now. I can't believe how different it looks from 3rd person. She is doing so good! I love it! I only hope it's uphill from here - it would be nice if there's no backwards "rebound" like we've had with every breakthrough before now Big Grin

I love my dog so much.

Go back and watch one of the first videos. The backsliding is never as bad as the original dog was, so it's all gravy.

Go Ember, Go!! Yay, Christina!
Gotta love 'em.
Stupendous job both of you! Keep at it, the sky's your limit! /bacon
Glad you shared this Chris. I was going to give you a little longer and then I was going to bug you about it.
So what do you think about "Get Focus" in Feb. I will go bronze are you in?
Actually... Yes! I have budgeted 1 gold and 1 bronze class. I was going to take Engagement but after last night, I think Get Focused is the better one now. We are dong Obedience games as the second one.

Or maybe I'll do Engagement and Focus together.

Arg - I had this all figured out! Thanks, Ember. Thanks.

Giggle

Hahaha. I always keep changing my mind. It would be fun to know someone taking the same class
I talked it through with Denise Fenzi (she's an awesome advisor, btw). I'm going to take Get Focused at Gold and Engagement at Bronze, since the latter expects some basis of the former in place already. We have enough to work on to ignore Obedience Games for now.

her tail doesnt stop! looks like things are going really well for you guys Smile
[Image: rcpXqRE.jpg][Image: rcpXp1.png]