The Education of Will
Is anyone else looking forward to reading this book?

http://www.theeducationofwill.com/

I have it on pre-order with Amazon. I think Patricia McConnell is amazing.
I'm very interested now..... Thank you.
"A tired border collie, is a good border collie"
Can I get a little more info on it? Who is she?

I still have the Chaser book I need to read.
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Patricia McConnell is an author and speaker: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/about-patricia

I think her most well known book would be "The Other End of the Leash". Reading her books and watching her DVDs made me more aware of how I interact with my dogs and how to see the world from my dog's point of view.

Her new book is a memoir so it is very different from what she has written before.
Well, I read the book and have to say that I would only recommend it with a warning.  I found this review and I think it sums up the book well:  https://smartdoguniversity.com/review-th...n-of-will/

It is an interesting book and well written but I wish someone had taken a Sharpie to a couple of the sections before I started reading.  I knew the book was a memoir and didn't expect it to be like her other books but I wasn't prepared to read about the horrible trauma she had been through.  And the cover with a happy Border Collie and a blue sky and fluffy clouds in the background didn't give me any indication of what the book contained.  I hope I am not sounding too vague.  So reader, beware, this isn't just a book about a woman and her dog, it is about a woman, her dog, and the trauma she went through and how she worked through the terrible things that happened to her.

However, this book doesn't change my opinion of Patricia McConnell.  I love her books, follow her on Facebook, and read her blog and will continue to do so.  I have quite a few of her DVDs and enjoy them so much that I often put them in the DVD player in my van so I can listen to them while driving.  Someday I really hope to meet her.  If you get the chance to read her books or watch her lectures I think you will find them very interesting.  She has a great understanding of why dogs do what they do and why humans do what they do and how that doesn't always work out when we try to communicate with each other.
I'm not going to lie, I think my interest is piqued even more. I just read the review and didn't realize I had read several of her blogs (mostly from facebook links). I recognized the "Back on the farm" bit. I love psychology and would love to see the connection she made with her dog. I *think* I would be okay with squirmy. Thanks for posting a review for us!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
It is a good book, it just deserves a warning. I wouldn't give it to my 14 year old to read.  Patricia McConnell has a Ph.D. in Zoology and is a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist.  She knows what she is talking about.   She has made me a better trainer and a better dog owner.  Now when my dogs do something I don't understand I try to think of how it looks from their perspective and how crazy we humans must look to our dogs sometimes.   Shy
She lives two or three hours from me. I had the opportunity to go to one of her first book signings half hour from me in Green Bay. It was my youngest's birthday. She used to have radio call in show. She made it well known that it would be delving into things she found surfacing as she discovered them while working with Will and his issues. I have not been able to read  Anything...but would expect her to be just as upfront un sugar coated as the sense I get of her.  I have even more respect for her accomplishments.
As a member of NAMI who has witnessed people going through processing many trauma forms and how difficult it is. I don't expect it to be overly shocking. Not to minimize hers. There is brilliance found in recovery both two legged and four.
“If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.”
― 
Just my opinion.  I'm sure others will feel differently.
I respect opinions... but some wording can be upsetting. Such as needing a warning is why people hide and don't get treatment. The cover being misleading is judging a book by it's cover. As for interest in psychology it like any medical field deals with icky squirmy things.  Just like our damaged animals that we find so hard to hear their backgrounds.I am pretty sure people put these books out there for that reason to educate people and give them insight and courage.
“If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.”
―