Operation: New Home for ABC!
As many of you know, ABC has been around for over a decade. With age comes some technological "debt". only-borders and I have been working to assess the "debt" our current website has accumulated and have decided to bring everything up to date. This means fresh, new software and a fresh look.

Now, before you panic, let me explain a few things. The information on this site isn't going anywhere. Posts and users will be retained. Everything you've come to love about the All Border Collies site will still be here. There will also be some shiny new things to play with included in the new software as well.

There are some things you will want to note as well. Because of a conversion process that has to happen for the new software to work, some things may get lost or broken in the shuffle. We have made a test run of this conversion and can say for sure that any thread with the first post deleted by the creator will probably be "broken" on the new site. We will work on pruning out those broken threads as we find them.

Also, "attached" images most likely will not make the move. If you have attached images you want to save, please take the next week to go through your posts, profile pictures, and signatures and make sure you have copies of those images (or save them out so you do). As we make the transition to the new site, you will be able to upload attachments again to threads where they go missing - that is up to you. You will also want to reset your avatar and signatures if you find the images missing as well.

We plan to start the conversion process on March 8, 2017. When the process begins, The board will be unavailable for new user registration and most features will be offline. The ability to post will remain intact, but new posts after board shut-down will be lost when the conversion is complete. Therefore, we ask that you refrain from posting once the process starts. We will make it very clear when that time has come.

There will also be a brief time period when the site will be completely unavailable. You may see unfamiliar 404 ("site not found") pages for anywhere from a few seconds up to about 2 hours. Keep checking back, as once the site returns, the conversion will be almost complete at that time. You will find the "new" site in "maintenance mode" and inaccessible - this is a security measure while we put the finishing touches on our new home. Once the conversion is complete, and the site is ready, it will become open to the public again.

We estimate the entire process may take 24-48 hours. This is why we chose a mid-week day to do this.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and we will do our best to answer all of your curiosities and concerns. Please ask your questions in this thread. PMed questions will be redirected back here so that the public may benefit from the answer.
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Clarification:

The "images" that will go missing are those that were specifically put in the post by the "attach file" method here on the forum. If you used a URL to show your image in your post instead, those will not disappear.

Thank you to you both for all the effort involved in keeping the forum up and running. Can't say I am not concerned, as upgrades often seem to make things more complicated and I am already technologically challenged LOL. This is such an easy site to use.
I respect that sentiment. We are moving to a software that long-standing members will find familiar (it was once home to this site). I will do everything I can to make the transition as smooth and easy as possible - I promise. If you find things hard to use, we will help you Smile.

ETA: The primary reason from moving from this software is because it is really old code. Old code is not safe to sit on.

Thank you for working on this forum, to make it better! Very clear explenation, so no questions Wink
The "new site" will have a different look but take your time in looking around and I'm sure you will find it just as easy to use as this site.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Actually, I'm looking forward to it.....updating is always a step of trying to make improvement Wink
Thumbsup It will all be good !
Thank you for your knowledge and time so we can continue to enjoy this forum
Thank you both for your hard work. Looking forward to the new site.