Think your older fur kid may have had a stroke?
Think again. Our 13 year old Tango had an "episode" last Sunday. Total body quiver, disoriented, eyes rapidly shifting back and forth, and difficulty standing and walking. His head was (and still is) tilted at about a 45 degree angle. We rushed him to the ER where he was diagnosed with a peripheral vestibular disease. Basically his equilibrium is all honked up. We were told we could give him Meclizne (motion sickness pills) to help settle his stomach so he could keep his food down and to just basically wait it out. Evidently its more stressful for the owners than it is for the dog. It could take up to 4-6 weeks for a full recovery. Susie took him to a doggy chiropractor today who adjusted his hips, neck and mid back and that seems to have helped as well. We're just taking it one day at a time for now but I just wanted to throw this out there for other members who have an older dog and may experience a simular situation.
Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dogs think I am.
Thanks for the heads up. I've known several dogs that have had this happen. Most made a full recovery or so close to full that only family knew something was off.
Gotta love 'em.
Oh poor Tango! Hope he recovers soon! Wishes:
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
So sorry,
I have a friend who's dog has Just gone through this, the head is still titled but has already made significant recovery and improving each day.
It is so hard to see our dogs suffer. With our older ones it is sometimes a roller coaster emotionally. My May she was diagnosed last year with early kidney disease, we are also trying to keep her mobile. I have just seen some improvement with a few chiropractor appts. Then she started dribbling urine again. I was worried it was her kidneys, but a urine sample is indicative of another UTI. Relief again. Now I am waiting for the results of blood work that she is having in about 10 days after her antibiotics.
My thoughts are with you
Yes, vestibular is quite common in older dogs, they do usually recover well after a few days to a couple of weeks, but can be left with a head tilt.
My Teagan did have a stroke though, just over a year ago now, she was totally collapsed, pale gums, her eyes weren't flickering. She was given a high dose of steroids, kill or cure and luckily it cured, but her legs aren't as good as they were before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 922e7bce-ce23-427a-94d6-5cf3b6563f6b.jpg]
So sorry you are going through this but thank you for sharing the information. I have never seen or heard of it, I think I have been lucky with my senior dogs in the past. I hope Tango is on the mend really soon.
Sending lots of hugs to Tango. Comfort
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Poor Tango Sad Thank you for the information! Hopefully he can make it to 100%!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014