What happens when you confuse a dog...
This was tonight's focus homework. I think there was a mix of issues with me coming home from being gone for 2 days, having just ate a full meal, and the motion required for the exercise. I could have planned it better, but I rushed it in order to maximize the class. Always comes back to bite me... every... single... time.

And yet it is a trap I still fall in.

It's just hard to judge sometimes as Ember can start of seemingly enthusiastic, but then changes her mind.

ETA: Instructor thinks she simply got confused because the space was too small, so she didn't understand what I was asking for. That makes sense. Having a one-on-one trainer is so very helpful! I'm not as frustrated now LOL. I had to change the title of this as it wasn't really a "one step back" thing. Just handler error.

And for that I feel better!
Banghead
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Kep does this sometimes... Eusa_think I'm constantly thinking of different ways to approach something I want to train. My point is, I think I now know how you feel. Comfort
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
I get this a lot with Mattie. A couple of weeks ago I was working on something with her and everything was going great until Mattie decided what we were doing was the scariest thing ever and completely shut down.

My other "non BC" dogs would have just ignored me and walked away and Tasha ALWAYS plays unless she is confused and then she will bark at me like, "Mom! I don't understand, get your act together!" So having a dog that decides what we are doing is terrifying and shuts down is very confusing to me.
It can be very confusing. I'm still trying to figure Ember out. She's been out of "training sorts" for 2 days now, so we haven't done anything. Refuses to take treats from my hand, but will pick them up off the floor, and looking for any other place to be. Oh well. It's not fear though - I think mine is just lazy LOL!

He just does a half tail attempt and yells/groans or does something else that HE feels like doing. So we drop it move back to simple known request or modify the request, lure or shaping approach. Stopping all together if we are "yelling" at each other.
One of the hardest lessons I learned this year was that it is okay to just stop a session if one of the two of us isn't feeling it. I'm one to not leave things undone so stopping a training session felt like leaving a classroom mid lecture.

Well this the perfect situation to learn that skill. I too end up going and going until I like what I see. But Keller sees it differently as tells me. Guess what? He is the only one I listen to when it comes to the issue of letting things go!!!  Tongue
I have the same issue. Unfortunately, when we're working, stopping usually means the sheep are somewhere they don't belong, so while I may put the dog away, I still have work to do.
Gotta love 'em.
My problem is when I am trick training, I sometimes forget the word I use to train (especially if I don't train consistently). For ex. if I am training Milo or Misty to stand on two hind legs, I may use "up" or sometimes I use "stand". I know this is probably confusing them since it is my understanding that BCs pick up on words/actions quickly and if a consistent command is not used it can be confusing to them. What I need to do is put down in writing somewhere the commands that I use. I know that probably sounds stupid but I am sure it is operator error on my part!
My daughter and I are the ones that train Mattie and Tasha.  We often discuss visual and verbal commands because we want to make sure we are consistent.  I have a couple of small notebooks that I write all the commands we have taught so I don't forget them.  My daughter has been training Tasha in agility for a couple of years but I just started agility with Mattie.  I told my daughter she needs to help me with Mattie's training so both dogs will have the same verbal and visual signals.