Ember's Journal: Shaping A Grab
I couldn't wait any longer for the end of the week (and the end of our Get Focused class). I have been sitting on shaping a grab for a really long time, and I got antsy. So I decided today would be the day we would start it. Ember's spirits were high and she has been fully committed to being my shadow - couldn't have had a more perfect day to start something new. I plan to use this thread to journal our progress in this singular exercise.

End Goal:
- Foundation for a game of TUG
- Foundation for "I can't reach that" retrieve

Remember, this is a dog that couldn't handle me handing her a toy, and for a long time wouldn't take food from my hand without spitting it out first, inspecting it, and then eating it.

And I was blown away by this girl's spirit. Everythign was carefully thought out from the length of the sessions to the criteria for a CT. What do YOU see?

Shaping attempt 1: Just touch it!

[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Looks like she's doing an exceptional job! Cheer
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
Attempt 2:

I call Ember my "part time employee". Asking her to do anything multiple days in a row results in much less enthusiasm. She does better when only asked to work the same job two or three days a week.

Sometimes when I work with Mattie she will show great interest and enthusiasm toward our game and then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, will stop and act terrified or just shut down. Tasha never does this. Tasha will sometimes seem a bit bored with something but she never is frightened or shuts down.

I love watching your training sessions with Ember. I find myself whispering, "Good girl" at the same time you do in the video.
She is so honest! She tells you everything she is thinking. I love on the last video where she was checking to see what exactly you are rewarding for and she kind of curled up her nose and touched it with her teeth, but her mouth was still completely closed. You could see the wheels turning and you could see the moment she realized that wasn't enough. You could also see the exact moment she decided she had had enough. She didn't look like she was shutting down from too much pressure like she used to, but she was still done.
Gotta love 'em.
Great job !
She's not a liar, that's for sure! And it's so cool to be able to read her better! I can see where even in that second video I should have stopped...

Here's day 3. Instead of giving her a break, I completely changed the exercise in her brain. I found a disc that fit her mouth perfectly and was wide enough to let her grab it without feeling like she was encroaching on my personal space. It also allows me to hear her teeth hit it.

Because of these changes and her previous attitude, I shortened the session to just 1 part and mixed in some hand targeting to get her moving. I also dropped the criteria don again to just touching it at first, but you can see how quick she was to tell me she knew exactly what to do!

Nice progress!
Gotta love 'em.