Doggie Quirks
Does your dog have any strange habits/quirks/fears?
Every day is a learning experience with Ben the recent rescue collie. Some friends came to visit and parked their car alongside my house a few yards from the gate. It's the first time he has seen a car parked there. Well he dug his heels in and cowered as he tried to back off. Moving cars are a different story - he has to be restrained from chasing them.  But he would not go near that parked car and to get past we had to do a big detour around. At first I thought it was just the sight of the new object but in retrospect maybe he thought he was going to be put in the car and taken away. You wonder what goes on in their heads sometimes....
Poor Ben. I'm sure you'll do an amazing job with him!

Kep, my little guy, has a bean bag he likes to lie on. He knows he's not supposed to touch it with his mouth so if he wants to move it he'll stand on top of it and do a digging motion with his paws to push it behind him. He'll keep doing this until it's in the spot he wants.
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
I have found similar behaviour with both of mine. Even if it is things that in themselves they are familiar with they do not like things where they do not normally exist. They have reacted the way you describe to boots being left in front of a door, a car battery left outside a door and a box left a few metres away. They know my sons car but if he parks where it is not usually parked they don't like it. A few days ago we pulled down a timber fence that surrounded a vegetable garden and a section of it was momentarily leaning up against another fence. Nope, that's not where the white picket fence usually is so there must be something scary going on !!! Both of mine like things to be as they usually are.
(03-12-2017, 12:59 PM)Loyal Border Wrote: Kep, my little guy, has a bean bag he likes to lie on. He knows he's not supposed to touch it with his mouth so if he wants to move it he'll stand on top of it and do a digging motion with his paws to push it behind him. He'll keep doing this until it's in the spot he wants.
Aww bless. Sounds like a YouTube hit!
Oh it is the quirkiness I love about the breed, hence my online name.
I love the little weirdos.
A year ago when May was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease I started adding water to her food. I thought warm would be better and more appetizing, unfortunately I made it too hot. She barked at her bowl until it was cool enough. However being the pattern forming weirdo she is. That has been her ritual ever since, Every meal needs to be barked at before it is eaten.
(03-12-2017, 01:26 PM)Trifan Wrote: I have found similar behaviour with both of mine. Even if it is things that in themselves they are familiar with they do not like things where they do not normally exist. They have reacted the way you describe to boots being left in front of a door, a car battery left outside a door and a box left a few metres away. They know my sons car but if he parks where it is not usually parked they don't like it. A few days ago we pulled down a timber fence that surrounded a vegetable garden and a section of it was momentarily leaning up against another fence. Nope, that's not where the white picket fence usually is so there must be something scary going on !!! Both of mine like things to be as they usually are.

(03-12-2017, 01:54 PM)Quirkydog Wrote: Oh it is the quirkiness I love about the breed, hence my online name.
I love the little weirdos.
A year ago when May was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease I started adding water to her food. I thought warm would be better and more appetizing, unfortunately I made it too hot.   She barked at her bowl until it was cool enough.  However being the pattern forming weirdo she is.  That has been her ritual ever since,   Every meal needs to be barked at before it is eaten.

Gosh I thought that was how you were supposed to cool food? I always bark at mine and it works every time.
Chrissy, I forgot to mention the moving car thing. I have raised both mine from pups so I can't blame anyone else for my failings with Max and Moving cars or bikes. Jasper has been raised the same way and has no issues "except" he can't cope with Max's frantic instability and he then barks at Max.
The reaction is different between arriving and leaving and I think this is in part influenced by sound as people roll down the slope when arriving compared to revving up to go up the slope when leaving.

Max flies to threshold almost instantly and engaging him is very difficult. My best result in helping Max with this has been in more recent times now that he has been trained to go to his crate when people are leaving and when he hears people arriving. He's pretty much on auto correct with departures and we are getting there with arrivals, the sticky beak aspect LOL. I don't close the crates at all but on occasions when temptations are high i.e.: multiple bikes leaving, I will stay with Max to support him with praise/reward. It's a big effort for him and he is doing OK. Jasper is fine. If Max has gone to his crate he is happy to quietly watch the proceedings with no fuss, he is such a cool headed little guy.
Max will eventually graduate to sitting on the patio or even to be at the fence but not until being still and calm in habitual.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a quirky BC.  Mattie is afraid of so many things but has no problem with thunder or fireworks.  

People often say, "My dog thinks she is a person".  I have no doubt that Tasha doesn't think she is a person.  People are there to take care of her (feed her and help when scared or hurt), to entertain her ("Throw the ball"), and to fix anything that is out of place in Tasha's world.  A toy rolls under the sofa?  No problem just bark until the human gets it (This doesn't work with the cat.  I have had to tell her, "Deal with it, the cat is under the sofa and I'm not dragging him out").  Something out of place?  A box where it shouldn't be, shoes out of place, the cat knocks over the lamp...no problem...bark and the human will fix it.  We even have "Tasha approved water bowls".  I frequently put all the pets bowls in the dishwasher for an extra good cleaning.  I tell my daughter to put out a water bowl so all the pets (two BCs, two cats) have water while the bowls are being cleaned.  If my daughter puts down a "non-approved" bowl Tasha will refuse to drink from it and when she gets really thirsty will bark at the bowl until it is replaced with the correct bowl.

No, my dogs aren't spoiled, why do you ask? Rolleyes
(03-12-2017, 10:06 PM)Tasha Wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one with a quirky BC.  Mattie is afraid of so many things but has no problem with thunder or fireworks.  

People often say, "My dog thinks she is a person".  I have no doubt that Tasha doesn't think she is a person.  People are there to take care of her (feed her and help when scared or hurt), to entertain her ("Throw the ball"), and to fix anything that is out of place in Tasha's world.  A toy rolls under the sofa?  No problem just bark until the human gets it (This doesn't work with the cat.  I have had to tell her, "Deal with it, the cat is under the sofa and I'm not dragging him out").  Something out of place?  A box where it shouldn't be, shoes out of place, the cat knocks over the lamp...no problem...bark and the human will fix it.  We even have "Tasha approved water bowls".  I frequently put all the pets bowls in the dishwasher for an extra good cleaning.  I tell my daughter to put out a water bowl so all the pets (two BCs, two cats) have water while the bowls are being cleaned.  If my daughter puts down a "non-approved" bowl Tasha will refuse to drink from it and when she gets really thirsty will bark at the bowl until it is replaced with the correct bowl.

No, my dogs aren't spoiled, why do you ask? Rolleyes
Well I am glad you know your place! My old dog could be a bit wary of strange things or moved things but would always come round once it was perceived to be non life threatening. But finding that my rescue is afraid of parked cars has come as something of a surprise - especially as he is such a big bold confident chappie and handles strangers and their dogs well.. Will have to do some 'parked car therapy'.
I love 'parked car therapy'.

Tasha (nine weeks when we got her) just tends to be bossy when her universe isn't perfect. Mattie (a rescue that I adopted at 18 months) is terrified of anything she doesn't understand. There have been time when I have thought, "Really, Mattie? You're afraid of that?" There have been many everyday objects that I have had to convince Mattie that they are not out to attack her.