Who Is Asking Who Here?
One of the biggest, most important training philosophies I have walked away from this FDSA session with: If I expect my dog to be ready to work when I am ready to work, then she should also expect ME to be ready when SHE is ready.

Tonight, my girl was on absolute fire. I have NEVER seen this level of commitment to training from her before. I've seen excitement for the food, but this is the first time I'm sure I saw that focus shift from what was in my hand to what we would be doing.

And I was tired. So very tired. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over 2 weeks for two handfuls of reasons, half of which are work related, the other family/move related. Training wasn't on my list of things to do tonight. I really just wanted to crash when I came in the door.

But the face that turned to greet me after coming in from our last walk had other ideas. And I jumped on all of them.

The result in choosing to allow my dog DEMAND WORK made a humongous difference tonight. Tell me - do you recognize this dog?

It has been a really long, hard journey. After tonight's success, I had to go back and watch what we were doing not 5 months ago, in our very first FDSA class.

And it wasn't pretty. Forcing a dog who doesn't want to work to try to engage never is pretty.

[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
I have already told you I was very emotional watching this
Wow!
Amazing. To see how far you have come I see as hope for someone else who is having a hard time. Patience and dedication is what you have given Ember and it is really paying off. 

I agree with QD, it is emotional. Great job to the both of you.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Oh wow! She is like a new dog! Yahoo

I'm getting a little emotional as well. I think everyone
would agree that we're all excited for you and proud of your and Ember's progress! Smile
Great job, I so admire your dedication. It is heart warming to see her confidence and participation grow.
The difference in Ember is amazing. I love seeing how happy and engaged she is now. It is a long and exhausting path to build a dog's confidence.
She's an amazing dog. I knew that potential was all in there. My mistake was in trying to pull it out of her. And she taught me - I was going to say "quick", but it wasn't an easy lesson to learn. And I know we are only just beginning - there is so much more in there. We're only scratching the surface. Bless her, she is so my baby.

I still think I love her just a little too much.

I am house sitting a house with a 9 year old and a 16 year old and a 2 year old bulldog at night, and I'm trying to figure out if I can take Ember to stay at my parents as I will ALSO be house sitting that house during the day. 5 days is a long time to go without her!

Can Ember just go with you? Or would she be to stressed?
Yes, she is going! But this means she sleeps in a lonely house at night with only Sly (my parent's cat). But they get along well so I'm not worried about that, and I'll get up with her during the day. I kind of feel selfish for taking her as Daniel is here at home with Kairo and Anya, but he wouldn't mind having Kairo alone, so it works out well. And she gets more practice traveling.