HELP - Puppy chewing
Hey everyone!

So, Balu (5 months) has never been a destructive dog, he has always chewed his toys. But yesterday he chewed on the wood around the door in the kitchen. All his puppy teeth have fallen out and his adult teeth are out. So I don't think it is because he is teething and is uncomfortable. People tell me he needs exercise or that he gets bored, and I don't know what to do. 
He goes for a short morning walk from 7:30 AM to 8:AM. At 3 PM my brother takes him on a 30 minute walk. At 7 PM I take him to obedience class until 8 PM. At 9PM we go the dog park until 10 PM. 

So, any ideas on how to stop this? He does this in the same place. This behaviour only began yesterday but I am very scared that this is a sign and he is going to get more and more destructive. HELP!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Frisbee_dog
If you catch him in the act, redirect him with a toy. Every "No" needs a "Yes" behind it.

Mind games. Play a lot of brain games with him. Give him his kibble under upside down bowls and cups, etc. Play "find it" and "hide and seek". Get him thinking, and he will wear down faster.

How long is he left in the kitchen, and how often? Under what circumstances?
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
I have a door frame that very much resembles yours. 3 dogs have now had a go at it but I'm not inclined to fix it up until after our next dog is over that stage. I can't undo the current damage so for now it is a training spot/aid LOL. I have actually found that after the adult teeth are all in and between approx 5-7 months has been the time when mine have been inclined to do something like this. All the alternative chew toys in the world don't seem to eliminate the risk of random chewing on inappropriate things. Max grew out of it and Jasper who is now 7 months is also pretty much over it. I usually catch them in the act and just saying, "ahh, Jassie stop that" and giving him something he is allowed to chew seems to have gotten the message across. I have heard people talk of wiping Vix or bitter apple spray on the area with success. I personally don't use anything because I am aiming for them to learn that it is simply not acceptable rather than them "not" doing it because it tastes bad, but that's just me. I am home to watch things but if I were out I might try the Vix idea but then what stops them from just moving on to another doorway LOL

While lack of adequate exercise and mental stimulation can lead to these things I do not believe it is always the case. Just like our human babies and toddlers do random things like drawing on walls and dropping things in toilets etc, I think pups also often do things just because they wanted to and seemed a good idea at the time. Young creatures like experimenting and trying things. Having said this, I also like to do 3 or so short trick training sessions during a day, it's amazing how much satisfaction a dog gets just from 10 min work.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't always jump to concluding that you have failed in some way just because your pup gets into mischief. Getting into mischief is to a large degree part of the pups job description. It's too easy for others to say it is because he is bored, pups also need to learn that it is OK to be doing nothing, including "not chewing the house.
Hi there Clara,

We have a hard wood coffee table that Josie loved to get her teeth into right after her adult teeth came in. The only way to get her to stop was to be there to supervise her and even then she would sometimes sneak up to it and quietly but onto the end of it, and there quietly and look at you like 'nothing to see here'. She seems to have largely grown out of it now but we also buy her really large meaty cow bones from the butcher which occupy her for hours when we are out.
If he is alone between the times you said he goes for walks, etc, he absolutely could be bored. Some pups need to be confined to a crate or fenced area to keep them safe from themselves when unsupervised. 

They can't always be trusted to not get into things that are bad for them. Unfortunately leaving chews around when no one is home isn't always the best solution either. 
If he is left alone for the 7 hours between walks a crate might be the best thing for him.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Are you sure even the back teeth are adult teeth? That being said, I've had quite a few dogs that went through a destructive phase between 5-8 months. I always wondered if they could feel the jaw growth or something like that. Or if they are just full of it.

For my dogs, being loose is a privilege that they can lose if they can't behave. Just the other day, Gideon(6 years old) decided to sneak into the laundry room and eat cat food. Well, the laundry room is off of the kitchen and the kitchen has been off limits his entire life, so he had to venture very far into forbidden territory. He was properly shamed for his transgression and for the next couple days, if I couldn't watch him, he went in his crate like a little pup. And when I say watch him, I mean he had to be in the same room with me at all times. If he kept getting up and leaving the room, he went in his crate. I gave him a couple days of being treated like a puppy and then started letting him have his freedom back. He is again allowed to be anywhere in the house he wants while I'm home, but if I have to slip out for a minute, he gets crated. Probably today, I'll start leaving him loose again when I'm going out to do quick chores and if he behaves, he will regain my trust. If not, it's back into the crate while I'm out.
Gotta love 'em.
Hi everyone!

Thank you for your replies. 

He is alone from 9 AM to 3:15 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays he is alone from 9 Am to 1 Pm or so. He follows me around the house so he is watched all the time (except for when we leave for work). Yesterday he tried doing the same thing on my door but, fortunately, I was there and told him no and gave him one of his toys. I'm at work now so let's see if he has done it today. If not, I will have to crate him I guess. 

Some people have told me that their dogs have done the same thing around that age and were over it at about 7 months, so maybe his teeth still hurt? 

I wish he could talk and just tell me lol Life would be so easy  Big Grin
Frisbee_dog
I had my previous dog from a puppy. If I remember, she chewed till she was 8 or 9 months old - despite toys and mental stimulation and not being left alone much. Then one day she stopped. It was just like someone turned off a switch. Not only that but I could trust her around anything that was collie level. So keep the faith!
At 6 and 1/2 months Jolie' is still in the chew every thing mode we are looking forwards to the end of this. She is our first BC but not our first dog and they pups all go through this. We have atleast 6 chewies and such around the house to amuse her but she continues bringing in fire wood and pine cones to chew on. Thats not so bad as the chewing on the arms of Peg's ole rocking chair. That made us drag out the Cayenne.
(03-15-2017, 02:22 PM)Trifan Wrote: While lack of adequate exercise and mental stimulation can lead to these things I do not believe it is always the case. Just like our human babies and toddlers do random things like drawing on walls and dropping things in toilets etc, I think pups also often do things just because they wanted to and seemed a good idea at the time. Young creatures like experimenting and trying things. Having said this, I also like to do 3 or so short trick training sessions during a day, it's amazing how much satisfaction a dog gets just from 10 min work.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't always jump to concluding that you have failed in some way just because your pup gets into mischief. Getting into mischief is to a large degree part of the pups job description. It's too easy for others to say it is because he is bored, pups also need to learn that it is OK to be doing nothing, including "not chewing the house.

This made me laugh.  This is Tasha.  She is the worst chewer of all my dogs.  When I told my vet what a horrible chewer Tasha was she looked at my pup and said, "You are not a Labrador".  

Tasha will be 3 years old soon and if we are going to be gone from the house less then 30 minutes I will allow her to be free.  Otherwise she is crated.  We haven't had any chewing issues for a while but I still don't trust her if we are away for a long time.