Puppy picking up everything outside
Hi, my 9 week old puppy Luna is picking up leaves, ripping out grass and basically anything she can find in garden when I'm trying to train her to toilet in the garden. She's doing really well at the going toilet outside, to lots of praise lol,only having a few accidents indoors when she couldn't get out. But it's what she's doing in the garden before she does her business that's the problem. Drop it and leave it have no effect and I think she thinks it's all a game. I'm telling her no and taking whatever she had off her. Should I just begin to ignore her while she does this? Sounds silly but I don't know if dead leaves or live ones can hurt her so I don't want her swallowing foliage lol and it's impossible for me to remove them anyways. They'll Just come right back. I think she's just picking stuff up for a reaction but i dont know. Unsure what to do I don't want to learn her any bad habits. Any advice people? (:
At just 9 weeks she really is too young to have learn't the meaning of "leave it"etc, this should very much be a work in progress. Same for any words you want to add to her vocabulary including "No". Her understanding and compliance will be proportionate to the training put in. She's probably just picking stuff up because she is a curious little pup and that's pretty much what they do, I doubt it is a calculated act for a reaction. If the leaves are from trees that are not toxic to dogs, I wouldn't stress too much, my goodness, you should see the content of my two boys poop after a day in the garden.
Particularly at this tender young age, all day, everyday is a training opportunity. It is up to you to decide if you mind her tearing up and chewing on leaves and then set about using the opportunity to train in an understanding of "leave it" or "out" (out of mouth).
Good on you for being mindful of any bad habits forming, one of mine has a fetish for swallowing rocks, not good ! To be honest, picking up leaves and having a chew wouldn't bother me at all.
(04-05-2017, 01:12 PM)Trifan Wrote: At just 9 weeks she really is too young to have learn't the meaning of "leave it"etc, this should very much be a work in progress. Same for any words you want to add to her vocabulary including "No". Her understanding and compliance will be proportionate to the training put in. She's probably just picking stuff up because she is a curious little pup and that's pretty much what they do, I doubt it is a calculated act for a reaction. If the leaves are from trees that are not toxic to dogs, I wouldn't stress too much, my goodness, you should see the content of my two boys poop after a day in the garden.
Particularly at this tender young age, all day, everyday is a training opportunity. It is up to you to decide if you mind her tearing up and chewing on leaves and then set about using the opportunity to train in an understanding of "leave it" or "out" (out of mouth).
Good on you for being mindful of any bad habits forming, one of mine has a fetish for swallowing rocks, not good ! To be honest, picking up leaves and having a chew wouldn't bother me at all.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll just ignore her from now on. I think she knows what no means indoors because she stops chewing things and gives me the sad eyes lol. Just outside thatvtye problem is. There's clearly just too much fun things to chew in the garden. May I also ask, should I stop her from chewing on a stick? She's got plenty teething toys but she really loves this stick she found haha!
If you take her out potty on a leash you will have more control of what she can get into also. Leash is for business and off leash is for fun.

I have used a basket muzzle because the pups would eat anything and everything they could fit in their tiny mouth.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Micah did this. He would grab and swallow anything, to the point that it was a danger to his health. I had to take him out on leash for a few months until he grew out of it. I also couldn't leave him loose in the house if I wasn't actually staring at him at all times. He was so quick and grabbed everything. I even had to make Gideon wear a t-shirt for a while, because he was plucking Gideon's fur and eating it. The mass of hair had his intestines so irritated that the vet was afraid he would have permanent damage.

If your pup hasn't been checked for worms recently, it may be time to do that. Micah came to me with resistant round worms and they thought that could have had something to do with his issues.
Gotta love 'em.
I don't allow my dogs to chew on sticks. They sure do try and are always finding a piece of dead fall that has escaped me but their encounter is brief. I think sticks are generally dangerous, the little monkeys do swallow what they chew off apart from splinters etc.

Haha, give them all the lovely chew toys in the world but they will still find their own entertainment. A bit like children really, spend a fortune on toys but they will get hours of entertainment from a box made into a cubby.
(04-05-2017, 04:07 PM)only-borders Wrote: If you take her out potty on a leash you will have more control of what she can get into also. Leash is for business and off leash is for fun.

I have used a basket muzzle because the pups would eat anything and everything they could fit in their tiny mouth.
I always have her on the leash while potty training! I've got a massive garden and that's the only way I can control what she's doing. I also wanted her used to the leash at an early age. She's doing quite well with the leash, rarely trying to chew on it. If the problem persists I might try the basket muzzle. Hopefully she will grow out of it though! 
(04-05-2017, 05:58 PM)Gideon Wrote: Micah did this.  He would grab and swallow anything, to the point that it was a danger to his health.  I had to take him out on leash for a few months until he grew out of it.  I also couldn't leave him  loose in the house if I wasn't actually staring at him at all times.  He was so quick and grabbed everything.  I even had to make Gideon wear a t-shirt for a while, because he was plucking Gideon's fur and eating it.  The mass of hair had his intestines so irritated that the vet was afraid he would have permanent damage.

If your pup hasn't been checked for worms recently, it may be time to do that.  Micah came to me with resistant round worms and they thought that could have had something to do with his issues.
 Yes! This sounds familiar haha! I can't take my eyes off her for a second. She's a sneaky little puppy! I've noticed she smuggles in bits of grass and leaves in her mouth and drops them in the kitchen lol! She's defo smart. Thanks for the advice about the worms, I'll ring up the vets and talk to them. She needs to go anyway for her injections so I'll get her wormed too. 

Also, Luna keeps nipping herself, on her legs and tail. Ive checked her for fleas and there isn't any there, so should I just continue telling her no and putting her nice teething toy in her mouth?
(04-05-2017, 07:14 PM)Trifan Wrote: I don't allow my dogs to chew on sticks. They sure do try and are always finding a piece of dead fall that has escaped me but their encounter is brief. I think sticks are generally dangerous, the little monkeys do swallow what they chew off apart from splinters etc.

Haha, give them all the lovely chew toys in the world but they will still find their own entertainment. A bit like children really, spend a fortune on toys but they will get hours of entertainment from a box made into a cubby.

Yeah I thought so, I'm glad I took it off her. You're right there though! I've spent about 20 pound on a bed and about 20 pound on toys, and she would rather sleep on my old duvet and chew on the door edges! Haha
As always have her checked, but that nipping can also be a displacement behavior. Ember does this when starting to get revved up (which she hates being aroused, I've come to think at least). Something to keep in mind - watch for when she starts scratching and see if you can find a pattern.

I'm going to work today with some puppies with neuro issues who arouse instantly (and I do mean instantly, grabbing your pants leg with food still in its mouth). These dogs scratched pretty much 90% of their waking time until recently when a few of them have begun to learn to take breaks to moderate arousal.

I had concerns that one had an ear problem because he was ambling sideways trying to scratch and run at the same time, head always crooked. Turns out he only does that when stressed, so it's not a physical issue.

Not that that is exactly what's going on here, just my experience.
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014