Training gaps. Things I shoud have done when my dog was a puppy.
Tasha is three years old and today I was thinking of a couple of things I should have done when she was a puppy but somehow missed.

The first is being around small children.  My daughter turned 12 just before we brought Tasha home.  For the first few months we had Tasha my daughter was the youngest person Tasha interacted with.  Thankfully it worked out and Tasha loves small people but any future puppies will get introduced to polite children.

The second is loose leash walking.  You think I would have known better since Tasha was my 5th puppy but the two puppies we had before her were German Shepherds.   GSDs and big, strong dogs and from day one I didn't let them pull, it was a huge safety issue.  But Tasha...she was so tiny and cute and we took her everywhere and often carried her if I was worried about  harmful germs so I let LLW go for a while.  I'm paying for it now.  We are working on LLW but I have the feeling it would have been so much easier if I had trained her as a puppy.

One of the things I did correctly was to teach Tasha from the beginning to potty on leash.  I didn't do that with my GSD when he was a puppy and for his entire life he would never potty on leash.  Thankfully, he was really dependable off leash so it wasn't a huge issue but I didn't want to make that mistake again.

So, if you have had you dog since a puppy is there anything you wish you had taught?  Or if you got your dog when they were an adult, is there something you wish you had trained but didn't think about it at the time?
Ugh the food stealing, crumb searching underfoot. five people no one on the same page. Then when I was laid up for a couple months I did a lot of training stuff sitting all over so now if I sit anywhere other than the table with food he now assumes the waiting for orders position which spirals into beggin.
“If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.”
― 
Haha, I don't know if you ever reach a stage where you can't think of something you might have done a little differently. I also have not done much to teach mine to be with little people, I mean little people just are not part of our world even in a small way. They do seem fine though when we visit the markets and meet all manner of people. Yes, the loose leash walking almost got away on me. Like you I was accustomed to GSD's and when first walking a BC pup it felt so strange, almost like a toy dog. "pull, seriously !!! you call that pulling", there just didn't seem to be the urgency there was with a GSD and I probably didn't take it seriously enough soon enough. They are pretty good now but I am determined to do better with the new pup. They are however autocorrecting "where" they walk i.e.: if we stop for a sniff around etc they will correct themselves if they end up on the wrong side. Max walks to the left "outside" and Jasper to the left "inside".

I have done the opposite with being on lead and going to the toilet. Mine don't poop when on lead and that is what I want. I take bags with me just in case but never use them. They tend only to poop in their own yard, not on walks, days out or training events. They understand the word "toilet" and will pee on request or poop if there is anything on board LOL
I think I should have spent more time alone with Jasper, I mean really alone, totally away from home. We do seperate walks and training but I feel it has not been enough. I haven't really had a chance to go away with Jasper but our eldest son is with us at the moment for a while so while he is here to care for Max I intend to go camping with Jasper for a week after Easter holidays are finished. I think time away on our own will be good for us both. Jasper has never spent a night in his crate without Max beside him and I don't think that is a good thing.
Totally get you about from the Get go having the big dogs walking nicely, lol.
Yes each dog I have had I have thought of something I would have done different, but some was just relevant to that dog or my circumstances at that time, like having 3 young kids on walks. Other things are all part of learning. But there is very little you can't fix. Who,wants perfect anyways, lol.
I have had dogs that came into my life as adults and I would notice somethings I would have done were missing, But oddly enough there were somethings done that I would not have and I liked it.
I don't think we can have a cookie cut plan because each dog is different that it is part of the fun.
I do start any new journey with a dog/pup with "who are you? What will I find out about myself? And we are going to have fun in the journey"
Quirkydog, I agree with you, there is no way to get a "perfect" dog. Considering that I would like to someday have Tasha be a therapy dog having her be, at least, calm toward children would be desirable and that is why I thought of it.

Trifan, my issue with getting my dogs to potty on lead stems from me traveling with them (and I do have a command to tell them it is time to "go"). We will stay at hotels or be at agility venues where they have to be on lead so it is important for them to be comfortable to potty on lead. When I take my collies on walks or to the park I always potty them in the yard first because I prefer to not have to clean up after them in public. I train them that walks and play time are not "potty time".
If there was one thing I wish I trained better it would be Kep's people fear. There's so much that I know now that I wish I had known then. I did a decent job getting him around people for the first few weeks I had him but what I failed at was reading his behavior, knowing thresholds and figuring out how to adjust accordingly. I'm a little disappointed in myself but it's of no use dwelling on it and kicking myself in the foot because of it. If you want to make change the best place to start is the present. Smile
I believe it's never too late to teach a dog. I think it can almost be easier with some older dogs to get your point across. 

For me it seems everyday I'm asking something new of my dogs. When they stop and look at me like a crazy person I realize they don't know that yet so we take time and go over what I want of them. For me, it seems because I take each day as a training experience my dogs pick things up more quickly.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

I'm on the opposite end of this, and it's coming out big time in Nosework. I'm looking to train ALL THE THINGS because hey, she needs to know this stuff! (probably not really...)

Basically, I'm a by-the-book person. That spills into my training - I get stuck on "criteria" and can quickly forget that my sensitive dog needs quick rewarding for just being "close enough" for now.
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
I think where the gaps and shoulda coulda woulda came in was setting firm goals of I want. That is unfair and takes the pleasure or desire to train. There is no longer "training" in my home. There is "hmm I wonder if you can do this" or "I wonder where we are at with this?" Or "I think we have not been interacting enough today put the dang tablet down" I think classes and books and ideas set me up to feel I missed something. They are geared towards a form of ending or desired result to an extent. Sets my mind to I Am struggling with this (can't do it) because they put a picture of a firm goal or result. Which can take away  the idea of how many steps and time it takes to get there. I watched my daughter take a trick from a book and attempt to teach a multiple step thing to the dog looking for the end result with absolutely no concept of steps. Even though they were right there In photo form in  the book. So sometimes those gaps are just something we don't realize that there is many steps that our dogs need for getting there. We are not seeing gaps but things we may be neglecting the steps and stopped working on them because we moved on to something else we found easier or more important.
“If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.”
― 
Because of what was going on at the time, we didn't take Micah to as many different places as we should have. He never was and never will be good in the car, he just survives. He doesn't like to go places or meet people when we are out. Conversely, he is just fine with complete strangers coming in the house. He just doesn't trust them out and about.
Gotta love 'em.