The "Real" Enthusiasm Thread
My other one got derailed (in a very good and helpful way), and I was able to get a video of what it was talking about. This is the enthusiasm I'm wanting Ember to bring to training. And I'm finding I can get it when I use her food for treats (even if it's incredibly hard to handle).

It's so cute and so fun - but incredibly frantic. The girl doesn't quit moving! This is what I have dubbed her "Snoopy Dance". I'm pretty sure Schultz probably had a dog like this at some point LOL!

Time: 30 secs

[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Haha! Now that's enthusiasm! I love her Snoopy dance.
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
I am not sure I understand your concern, lol
These are well known behaviours, so she is confident.
When learning new she has to put herself out there which is hard for Ember.
Also when learning something new I want my dog to be steady, too hyped is not a good place to be for learning. Hence new behaviours for Draco are always taught with food, not too high value. He needs to keep his head. Well known behaviours are practiced with toys.
That's what I'm saying, there is no "concern". Just trying to figure out how to move this enthusiasm to things other than ONLY meal time so I can use it in a real training session. I taught "scary" things by holding her bowl in one hand and doing the scary thing with the other then immediately dropping the bowl. Like I said - 2 days to teach "turn". But at the same time this "looks" frantic to me and she doesn't quit moving, so showing new things is also difficult.

For instance, when teaching "Turn", she was already offering Spin over and over (three full rotations) - I had to physically put my hand in the middle of her Spin to stop her then lure her in the other direction. So yes, I had to physically stop her because she couldn't "listen" (nothing I said broke that Spin), but at the same time she learned "turn" in two revolutions and a bowl-drop. Second day I was fading the lure with success.

Basically I want this instead of the turn-head-too-hard-meltdown I'm getting elsewhere. Does that make more sense?

So... how do I use this? Tongue
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Haha
I have found with border collies that when trying to teach a new behaviour they are "stuck" on the old behaviour. And will offer it in many different ways usually getting more frantic, trying to figure out why it is not paying. She is worked up because you have her supper. She is close to the threshold but she is still good.
Because of this getting stuck. I usually work more than one behaviour. Well known ones like you were doing for a session and then work on something new for the next session. Or something new and end with a few know behaviours. Or work on something new one session and work on something different that is new on next session. I shake it up. Border collies are very good at trying to second guess us And GSDs to me are very pattern forming. I like to keep my dogs guessing, lol. It keeps them in the game and really focused on me.
I have tried working 2 new things in one training session session. It works, but I think you need a dog that is willing and comfortable to try things.

You are doing great and most importantly having fun. Go back and look at some old clips and see how far you two have come. It is a beautiful journey we take with our dogs.
I can't teach mine new things when they are that frantic. Both pretty much turn their ears off at that point. If I can get a couple old behaviors early on, I can break into the repetitive stuff and then get them thinking again, but I have to successfully break in first.
Gotta love 'em.