Kidney problems?
After having Dash for just a year we have had non-stop health issues with him. First giardia (sp?) and now after loads of tests the vet has told us Dash has high urea and creat levels in his blood.. More tests are being done and the vet is hoping it is due to his age and metabolism (I think, couldn't follow properly) and that is may be normal for him.

Although I don't know what numbers his levels were I have googled it and I'm crapping myself now because everything suggests kidney failure. Someone PLEASE tell me that they had similar and it turned out to be a breed problem.
We watch him like a hawk and he has definitely not ingested something he shouldn't have so unless it's something he was born with?

Really need some reassurance, going out of my mind with worry Sad
Poor guy! Sorry I have no experience with this. Hope that it is normal for him and that everything is fine.
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
Just curious what are you using for fleas hopefully not triflexus
I really don't know much about Kidney issues in dogs but I am pretty up to date with human Kidney issues and there are no doubt close similarities. My partner has autoimmune system related kidney issues however is back in remission for the second time after treatment with chemo. This is one of those situations where Dr Google WILL scare the hell out of you.
Firstly I want to take a little of the terror out of those words "kidney failure". Us mere mortals hear the word failure and interpret it as an "on or off thing" something that IS working or is NOT working. This is not the case with kidneys, there are varying degree's of the kidneys being compromised and a host of different things that can cause this impediment. "Failure" is a s**t of a word in this situation as it is a word used irrespective of the % of function the patient still has. My partner was described as having kidney "failure" 15 years ago.
You can think of it as "glass half empty or glass half full". Degree of failure or degree of function.  My point is, that even if Dash is experiencing a "degree" of failure, it is not an all or nothing thing.

I really can fully understand your fear and I would urge you to NOT consult with Dr Google for now as what you will be reading will be very generalised and these issues can be very individual. I will be thinking of you and Dash, also anxious to hear of his test results. In a perfect world we want our loved dogs to have perfect health but not being perfect isn't always catastrophic.

Not kidney related but an example of being freakishly individual. I went and had a routine bone density scan. The results were that I had bone density that was almost always associated with some horrid illness. My bones are dense beyond belief. A barrage of tests and many sleepless nights and it turned out that I am just genetically freakish. Yep, I am just plain dense.

EDIT My partners creatine and urea levels vary from test to test and are seldom perfectly "normal" but he looks after himself with diet and is fit. At 63 he is a dirt bike rider keeping up with youngsters in their 20's.
I'm sorry you are going through this stress. 

I'd like to suggest either you take someone with you when you go next time or take the dog out to your car and go back and talk to the vet. Sometimes having the dog in with us when the vet is explaining can be very distracting and with your brain going 100 mph it isn't easy to always understand what the vet is saying. 

If you don't understand ask exactly what the vet is telling you, ask questions. 

I'm also anxious to hear what the tests say. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

May is in early kidney disease, she is 14.
It is under control, Her last bloods came back better than her original.
Unfortunately any damage is irreversible, But diet can help by putting less work on the kidneys.
I think phosphorus needs to be kept low. How much protein is controversial. I think the type of protein is important.
I water her food down because I want yo keep her hydrated. I work with the vet with regards to supplements and she is on no flea, tick preventative.
It was picked up because she was drinking a lot, this was because she was needing to help flush the kidneys. She is susceptible to UTIs.
At present I am feeling her vet prescription food.
Hiya, thanks for the replies. It's good to know that kidney failure isn't necessarily the death sentence it sounds.

We give him Drontal for worms and nothing at the moment for fleas but in the past he has had Advantage.

Still none the wiser yet although my husband rang the vet and had a chat with him. They are doing more tests to hopefully rule out renal failure and we should find out on Monday what the verdict is.

He was eating Step Up To Naturals puppy food but have swapped to a dry complete which is 21% protein. Don't know what to do for the best!
For me this was where I really needed to have a good relationship with my vet
.when May was diagnosed is was just 8months after I lost my 5 year old Golden to Cancer. I told the vet I am not strong enough to do this again so soon after.
He assure me we could get this under control. May was in early kidney disease, we just needed to change her diet.
I explained that a diet of 13% protein concerned me. Also I am not a fan of the junk in vet food. He discussed what I needed to look for or avoid in food. This is why I say we all need to have a vet we totally can work with. He never judged me for my concerns, as it is I was too nervous to damaging her kidneys more so within a couple weeks put her on the vet food. The problem with kidneys they cannot repair, so if I caused any further damage it could not be fixed.
May did not and does not need any meds at this stage.
However I do now add things to her diet, Partly because she is not a great eater and being fed the same thing day in and day out is a problem, All my dogs are used to a varied diet.
As for ANY meds, parasite control and supplements I discuss with my vet. Even something that appears harmless can be hard for the kidneys. I know a few people who give their dogs bottled water, because of the chemicals in tap water.

I do not know the extent of your dogs diagnosis, so I can't say it is going to be ok because Mays is being managed. What I am saying if you do not have a vet you can work with find another.
What each person needs from a vet varies from person to person.
Some people do not like my vet because he discusses options, they feel he is week because they want a vet in charge, the vet in charge would not work for me, lol
We lost our beloved Sparky to kidney failure.  The bad news I hated to mention at risk of scaring ya.  But we had 4 years and many treasured memories after he was first diagnosed.  he was the first dog Peggy and I had together and the bratty head strong Bichon was wonderful to the end.  I am sure I posted this here or mentioned him in other posts but here is a small example of the kind of dog he was.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbgpJWqV4-A
With early diagnosis we had years of joy with him and hope and pray you do the same.
I finally have an update. Dash's kidney is fine! The raised levels are normal for him and his kidney is working well so I've been told.
Only problem we have now is his dietary issues. After having tests to rule out intolerance it seems he has more than a few.... chicken, turkey, beef, fish, ham, soy. That isn't even all of them, just the few I can remember. *sigh*