The Yellow Dog Project
I've heard of this before but just now looked into it. Not sure if any of you have heard of it or if it was shared here before. It sounds useful when training a fearful dog. Ember I don't think it's well known but you never know. http://www.theyellowdogproject.com/About.html
[Image: 2017-01-25%2008.55.54_zps4pg1dz33.jpg]
Sometimes, the smallest things bring the greatest joy.
This scheme is used in dog sports and clubs etc here in Australia however unfortunately there is no general public awareness.
I figured there isn't much public awareness as I've never heard of it before I got Kep. I think I'm going to start using it when going to the vet though (that's where I found out about it.)
When the idea of letting people know your dog was nervous, could bite, etc, came about everyone thought the leashes with different colors or ribbons attached was a good idea. Until someone got sued because the person who stopped to pet the dog got bit. The dog was leashed with a red ribbon on the leash. The owner said don't pet the dog but we all know that doesn't stop some people.

The owner had to pay because the general pubic is not away of what any color ribbon on a leash means. A ribbon on a leash could be a cute decoration for all they know. 

We advise that people us vests or bandanas with words in bold print and the color associated with it. Green, yellow, red, blue, etc. That way a person can read it for themselves if a dog is safe to approach. 
I don't think ANYONE should ever approach a dog without asking the owner first. That way you have the owners attention if they say it is OK to pet the dog. If the owner says no then move on. 
That goes double for any working service dog.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

I wish the general public were more aware of this.  Mattie is fine with older children and adults but small children and strange dogs terrify her.  I think it is a great idea and even if someone doesn't know anything about it having Kep wear a yellow ribbon might make people ask about it.

I found this and may get one for Mattie.   https://www.etsy.com/listing/461229390/l...ng-other-5

When I had my GSD I never had an issue with people approaching me.  Most of the time people would stand at least 10 feet away (which looks really comical when standing in a line at Petsmart).  I never knew how fortunate I was to be left alone when out with my dog.  Now with two small collies people always seem to want to approach me and with Tasha it isn't an issue but the only way I'm going to get Mattie over her fears (or at least manage them) is for people to give us some space.
I was personally thinking of pairing it with some sort of neon yellow harness that says "IN TRAINING" or something along those lines.
I'm going to eventually get the words written out in some form. I'm finding "She's shy, please don't" works the least - it becomes a challenge of "oh but I'll make her comfortable with me!" mentality. In the past five meetings, 3 of the 5 tried to touch anyway saying things like "oh but I smell like my dogs" or "she just needs practice". I've had to take her and physically keep walking and it feels so rude but what can you do? I don't think ribbons in our case will work.

I need a better phrase lol.
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
I like the concept of it all but I doubt anyone knows about it too.
Until people know what the different color ribbons on a leash mean I think the only way to inform them is for them to read it themselves. 
Bandanas and vests seem to be the most visible IMO.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]