Sooo....
It's been awfully quiet around here lately. It seems to always be kinda quiet this time of year or maybe it's just me. So, is everyone enjoying their summer? Or if you're in Australia are the cooler days treating you well? Over here it has been either hot and humid or raining. It was nice on Thursday though. I'm hoping for another nice day like that to plan a long hike with Kep. And of course if it stays hot we'll go down to the river. Hopefully I'll be able to get Kep to enjoy swimming. He doesn't mind walking in the water and actually enjoys it he just won't go in any further.

Hmm, maybe I have too much time on my hands... Tongue
Typical for Queensland Australia, winter is having time out. We often joke that, winter was mild this year, it happened on a Thursday". I'm not complaining though. July is usually our coldest month. Haha, last night I had to throw off the winter quilt I only just put on the bed a few weeks ago and turn on a fan. We are taking advantage of the mild weather to continue our garden renovations. With all the work we put into redesigning for Max's rock eating habit we decided to keep going and build a garden specifically for the dogs. They love hiding and chasing each other around things so we are turning the gardens off our patio into a kind of maze by using plants that can be easily hedged with pathways in between. Even though the new plantings are temporarily fenced off with chicken wire the boys are already running and darting around things. They are going to love it when things have grown. They are so cute when they play their hiding and chasing game. One will use a toy to entice the other to chase. We have cut down a mass of huge palm trees and I am not at all missing palm fronds being shredded up by them or dragged into the house if I leave a door open. Everything looks quite a mess right now but come spring the plants will take off and by end of summer will be advanced enough to start shaping the maze.
I bet they'll love it! And what a cool idea too. I'm sure it will look amazing when you're finished. You should post a pic when you're done I would love to see it, that is if you don't mind of course! Big Grin
Since our rainy season started, we have had rain every day for at least 3 hours, sometimes all day, so when I actually had a few hours free and it wasn't raining, I went and did loads and loads of yard work. I took 2 truck loads of metal, old fence and such, to the metal recyclers. I mowed for hours. And I added a LOT to our burn pile. Now it's thundering again... I have so much more to do.
Gotta love 'em.
(06-17-2017, 02:01 PM)Loyal Border Wrote: I bet they'll love it! And what a cool idea too. I'm sure it will look amazing when you're finished. You should post a pic when you're done I would love to see it, that is if you don't mind of course! Big Grin

These palm trees had grown much bigger than shown in these older photo's and were taller than the house. Can you just imagine the constant mess with all this palm rubbish a fish pond and 2 very busy young Border Collies. It was a big decision to get out the chainsaw but we have no regrets now. This time next year I should be able to show photo's of a revamped doggy garden.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-17-2017, 02:32 PM)Gideon Wrote: Since our rainy season started, we have had rain every day for at least 3 hours, sometimes all day, so when I actually had a few hours free and it wasn't raining, I went and did loads and loads of yard work.  I took 2 truck loads of metal, old fence and such, to the metal recyclers.  I mowed for hours.  And I added a LOT to our burn pile.  Now it's thundering again...  I have so much more to do.

That sounds like it could be a day in my life. Isn't it so satisfying when you have a really productive day like this. Haha, there will always be so much more to do.
Oh wow Trifan that's a lovely yard. Did you take down all those palm trees? Yikes It sure looks like it would make a nice doggie grade for your boys. Can't wait for next year to see how it comes out.

GM, sounds like you had a nice productive day. Hope the rain stops so you are able to finish the chores you need to get done.
(06-17-2017, 03:52 PM)Loyal Border Wrote: Oh wow Trifan that's a lovely yard. Did you take down all those palm trees? Yikes It sure looks like it would make a nice doggie grade for your boys. Can't wait for next year to see how it comes out.

GM, sounds like you had a nice productive day. Hope the rain stops so you are able to finish the chores you need to get done.

Yes we sure did. These photo's were taken in June 2008 so the palms were so much bigger now. They drop so much rubbish we could fill a trailer every week. We loved the garden how it was but had to question if we wanted to be a slave to it and the mess the dogs made with it, forever particularly as we are getting older. They were so close to the house it was quite scary taking to them with the chainsaw. All the underplanting was also moved elsewhere so it was a clean slate to work with. The dog playground will be simple with mass plantings of only 3-4 different plants and easy to maintain. I can't wait until it has become established and the boys can have fun in it. At the moment it looks a mess with pickets and wire to keep them out but this time next year it should be looking pretty good.
Oh, and the pond had to go also unfortunately. Max spent far too much time stalking the fish, diving in and coming up covered in the green plant that floated on top.
I love it when I finally have a day where I can do all those 3000 things that get added to my "Some Day" list. The other day it was a day of working inside. I washed everything that wasn't tied down. We don't have carpet. We have throw rugs. I washed every throw rug in the house, something like 14.
Gotta love 'em.