TIMEKEEPER
It is fare to say that in our house we have created creatures of habit. Feeding, getting out in the morning and being put to bed at night is my partners area. As he goes to bed by 7-7.30pm so do the dogs. When Max was a young, only dog he would get restless if the time came and my partner had decided to stay up a little later, it took a little while to teach him that it was OK to stay up later. 
Now Jasper is going through the same thing but this funny little guy is having no part of going past bedtime LOL. He has adopted his own strategy for keeping things on schedule. He goes to Max and lets out two sharp yaps at Max and Max, bless him, immediately responds and goes to his crate. Jasper however, has still not accepted that he can of course simply put himself to bed so once Max is in bed he then goes to my partner, whimpers and trots his feet until someone asks him to go to his crate which he then does immediately. I guess he just likes to be tucked in so to speak or he feels that a bedtime treat will only be forthcoming if he has complied with the request to go to bed.
What really fascinates me is how did Max automatically know that this is what Jasper is asking of him. It has happened many times now and it just cracks me up. They are such funny little characters.
OMG, we were just talking about this today. 

Ours are just the same when it comes to bedtime. Zoe and Obi got to bed at 9 pm with my husband and Pax stays with me. 
They know when it's time to go out potty, leave the house, go out to play and of course eat. 

I think they do best when they have a schedule. What about all the other little things they pick up on along they way? They are very perceptive of what we do daily.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Our girl is a little over a year and her general routine is rock solid. My wife and I usually go to bed around 9:30. Ray sleeps in our room all night, some on the bed and some along the side of bed. If we stay up past our normal time she will just go to our room a lay down. I have alarm set for 6am, but I don't really ever need it. I usually get woke to a cute BC staring at me about 2 minutes before alarm.
"A tired border collie, is a good border collie"
(06-19-2017, 05:27 PM)scott1908 Wrote: Our girl is a little over a year and her general routine is rock solid. My wife and I usually go to bed around 9:30. Ray sleeps in our room all night, some on the bed and some along the side of bed. If we stay up past our normal time she will just go to our room a lay down. I have alarm set for 6am, but I don't really ever need it. I usually get woke to a cute BC staring at me about 2 minutes before alarm.

Haha, it seems they are all very organised little creatures. Max will put himself to bed but Jasper won't go to bed until Max has gone first and someone asks him to. He knows what he wants, just hasn't quite figured out that he can just do it. Silly thing is, that their crates are sitting there right beside the lounge chairs we might be sitting in but nope he has to go through his routine. No doubt he like Max will figure it out, he's not quite one yo yet.
That is so funny! Their brains do get stuck on the "journey" and not the destination behavior lol! I love to hear these stories. These dogs have such character.

I am beginning to think I need to figure out something for Ember. She has never alerted me to anything she wants. She doesn't ask to potty or anything. She just sleeps all day or sits on the couch and waits for me to move first. I have the absolute laziest border collie in the whole world.

And of course the time I try to get her moving she gets overstimulated.

But gen again she swats really hard at me at seemingly random times lol. Maybe I just haven't figured her out yet Tongue
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Micah is my time keeper. He knows when it's time to do chores, go for a walk, get fed, and bed time. For chores, he comes and stares at me and heads for the door. If I'm in the bathroom when it's time, he will roo roo roo. He whines and runs around and gets everyone stirred up for walks. Dinner time is a head in my lap and then a few steps backward. When I go to his crate to get bowls, he runs and gets in his crate, but when I get the bowl out and carry it to the kitchen, he goes and jumps on the couch to wait(just about the only time Micah gets on the couch on his own). Bedtime is another one of his "speaking looks," then he walks to the backdoor with his head turned around backward watching me.

Gideon does know that Friday morning is agility day. He reacts to every move I make by jumping up and heading to the door.

And Lily is already telling us it's walk time. I'm not sure if her alarm is going off before Micah's, but in the last few days I have noticed her sharp yips before I see Micah start his routine, but I don't always see the beginning of Micah's routine and it has been raining every day since we got Lily, so walk time has changed up depending on the weather. Lily might not actually know the proper walk time, but rather is reacting to the subtle signs Micah is showing before he goes full blown.
Gotta love 'em.
(06-20-2017, 08:28 AM)Gideon Wrote: Micah is my time keeper.  He knows when it's time to do chores, go for a walk, get fed, and bed time.  For chores, he comes and stares at me and heads for the door.  If I'm in the bathroom when it's time, he will roo roo roo.  He whines and runs around and gets everyone stirred up for walks.  Dinner time is a head in my lap and then a few steps backward.  When I go to his crate to get bowls, he runs and gets in his crate, but when I get the bowl out and carry it to the kitchen, he goes and jumps on the couch to wait(just about the only time Micah gets on the couch on his own).  Bedtime is another one of his "speaking looks," then he walks to the backdoor with his head turned around backward watching me.

Gideon does know that Friday morning is agility day.  He reacts to every move I make by jumping up and heading to the door.

And Lily is already telling us it's walk time.  I'm not sure if her alarm is going off before Micah's, but in the last few days I have noticed her sharp yips before I see Micah start his routine, but I don't always see the beginning of Micah's routine and it has been raining every day since we got Lily, so walk time has changed up depending on the weather.  Lily might not actually know the proper walk time, but rather is reacting to the subtle signs Micah is showing before he goes full blown.
It sounds like Micah and Jasper speak the same language. Jasper does the same things. Head on lap and as soon as I put a hand on him he steps back and starts moving away as if drawing me away. If I don't stand up he comes back in and does the same thing again. He also does the walking away and looking back over his shoulder as if to say, "come on, this way".
Max is more of a whiner and pokes with a foot. It's like Max whinges and demands whereas Jasper asked politely.

I find it interesting that while Jasper is by far the most vocal one, (We call him Wooki because of the sounds he generally makes) when he is communicating with humans it is all about body language, gestures, movements. Max is not a generally vocal boy but he is the opposite when communicating with humans and will vocalise.

Max literally throws a tantrum if he is not getting what he wants or is bored. He does the strangest thing. He sits on the floor, up on his front haunches and his back legs to one side. He turns his head slightly to one side looking back across a shoulder and makes a noise that sounds exactly like a leaf blower or brush cutter that you are trying to start over and over when it is flooded with fuel. As he does this he hops/throws his back end into the air while his front legs stay flat out on the floor. It is hilarious and anyone who see's it just can't believe it.
I started not to go against the grain but at our house we are the parents and we say when to go to bed. Since we are retired we dont keep yalls schedule. !. Da dogs always have food and water to eat when they want to they do and neither one is fat. 2. When we go to bed they go to bed be it 9pm or 3 am. When we get up then they know its up time. The only time they wake us up is when they need something. When its rainy as it is now we leave the door closed if Jolie needs to Pee she woofs at us I get up open the door and make sure she dont frolic in the puddles. I have on occasion forgot to fill her water bottle and she woofs if she needs something. Took a while to curb her her puppy enthusiasm but long as the bed room door is closed she wont bother us. We raise our dogs not the other way around they adapt to our schedule and it works for us.
(06-20-2017, 02:18 PM)Cappy Wrote: I started not to go against the grain but at our house we are the parents and we say when to go to bed.  Since we are retired we dont keep yalls schedule.  !.  Da dogs always have food and water to eat when they want to they do and neither one is fat. 2.  When we go to bed they go to bed be it 9pm or 3 am.  When we get up then they know its up time.  The only time they wake us up is when they need something.  When its rainy as it is now we leave the door closed if Jolie needs to Pee she woofs at us I get up open the door and make sure she dont frolic in the puddles.  I have on occasion forgot to fill her water bottle and she woofs if she needs something.  Took a while to curb her her puppy enthusiasm but long as the bed room door is closed she wont bother us.  We raise our dogs not the other way around they adapt to our schedule and it works for us.

Your a funny little possum Cappy. I don't know what part of anything that anyone has said suggests to you that anyone who has commented doesn't do the exact same thing i.e.: raise their dogs and not the other way around. A discussion on the intelligence, quirkiness and ways our dogs communicate with us doesn't equate to jumping to their requests and demands. Having adapted to our schedule is at the very crux of the funny little behaviours we are discussing. It's fun, funny and interesting to have highly intelligent and quirky little creatures to interact with. Did I say for example that Max's quirky little attempts at tantrums get him anywhere ? No I did not ! I simply shared an interesting and funny behaviour.
I am sure Joley is no less adapted to your broader, looser routine than our dogs are adapted to the schedules that are necessary in our lives. You make a sweeping statement AND judgement (and not for the first time) based on a little snippet of information/"knowledge" (we raise our dogs not the other way around)

You could just as easily share what goes on in your household without jumping to incorrect conclusions or judgement about others.
I also don't like to go against the grain or offend people but your comment compels me to recall a quote I read just a few weeks ago. It said, "knowledgable people know when to say nothing but non knowledgable people just speak anyway". Ok, I confess, the word used was intelligent not knowledgable but I thought that was rude and judgemental so I adjusted it.
The absolute only thing that happens in my house on a schedule is feeding chores for the farm animals, and even that one has some variations in it now that I no longer have horses.

Most days we go for a walk after the news is over, so the dogs have learned that the Jeopardy theme song is followed by us getting up and getting ready for a walk.  They don't get to tell us to take them for a walk at other times or change our plans in any other way.  If for some reason we don't go for a walk at the regular time, they are just fine about it, in fact tonight we put off walking by an hour.  They have just learned our cues and routines so well they know when we are getting ready to do something, like me turning off the computer before I go fix food.  They don't come tell me to get off the computer, but if I forget the time, Micah will come put his head on my lap and remind me.  If I'm in the middle of something, I tell him to go lie down until I'm ready.  But if I put him off too long, I'll be feeding at midnight, since I feed just before bed anyway.  And since I have to get up in the morning, it would be pretty irresponsible of me to stay up til 3 in the morning, so it's just as well that he makes me aware of the time.
Gotta love 'em.