Puppy growling/biting
So Memphis, my 10-week old puppy, can get very excited with people's feet and hands. I can just be sitting at a chair and she can come running and start biting. When I play with her, she bites too hard and I 'yelp' loudly, then I ignore her for a minute or so, but she doesn't stop, instead she growls or barks, and tries to 'attack' me. She also barks and growls when she wants to play with someone but they don't pay attention to her. I'm kind of at a loss at what to do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading!
Avoid getting her overexcited. Use a crate for 'time out' not as a punishment but as a time to calm down.  Redirect her.  Give her toys to tug and chase to give her something to focus on instead of your hands and feet.
I have tried to distract her with toys before, but when she wants to bite she doesn't care about her toys. I've kennelled her before when she got overexcited, but I guess I should do it more often. Thanks for the suggestion!
I tend to stop whatever is happening and walk away the very instant there is tooth to skin contact. No words, no eye contact, basically the pup is not present. If necessary I go to another room, shut the door and leave pup alone. My youngest who is almost one hasn't been mouthy since approx 10 weeks of age but today while we were having an affectionate tussle on the lounge after I got home, he started to mouth in the same way he and his brother mouth each other when playing. I know it was meant in the spirit of fun but I quickly reinforced my zero tolerance of it and got up, went to the bathroom, shut the door and had a shower, ending the moment and leaving him alone. Which ever way you decide to deal with it remember it takes time, consistency and patience. Some pups will realise rather quickly that what they are doing will bring an end to what they are enjoying and others can take much longer. I think the worst thing to do is to try this and that only briefly and give up on the method too soon. It just confuses them.
Maybe you can find something here that might work for you. http://www.allbordercollies.com/thread-6862.html
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Great advice Trifan
See what Trifan is achieving by silently leaving is not only does the pup lose you for this behaviour, fun stops, But by silently ignoring the pup you are not adding to the over excitement and chaos.
So imagine you resist or tell pup no, or yelp, you are still interacting and ampi g up the situation. does that make sense.
Pup needs to work on overarousal issues. I have done this by only getting pup a little excited and bringing excitement back down. The key is you need to start with very small levels of excitement.
No toys or play.
I have taught these two games in puppy class.
1. When walking pup, i would pick up my pace building up to a quick dash forward then return to a steady walk. I would not make a noise or interact with the dog. If the dog gets over excited or cannot not settle back into a calm walk, you need to do less.
2. When I teach stay, I do not use the word. So I ask pup to sit, then slowly delay reward. But we need to proof excitement as well as us stepping away. So I have a pup that can wait 5secs before I reward I then might shuffle my feet, or slide or tap a foot to my side. Move my arms.etc. Initially you make small slow movements and build up to bigger quicker movements. If pup breaks gets too excited you have done to much. Lots of little steps is the way forward, every success is a training success every failure is undoing training, or practicing how not to do it.

Do not underestimate these games they are powerful, not only for the pup, but for you to read your dog
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out.
This is definitely a behavior where it is important to be consistent, every time. If you don't deal with the behavior sometimes, it is self rewarding and you will have this issue longer and possibly permanently. Make sure everyone in the household knows how to react and is on the same page as far as what to do. Fortunately, the majority of this behavior seems to be a teething issue, so if you train now, then when your pup is done teething the behavior will pretty much disappear over night.
Gotta love 'em.
As others have said, consistency is imperative!

What I've found works [ I've had three BC puppies over the course of 12 years; my latest pride and joy just turned 5 months so we got past the hand-biting about 6-8 weeks back ] is to ALWAYS have a toy within reach, and when your pup starts to bite, say 'No biting' or 'be gentle' and immediately put the toy in her mouth.

Shake it around, do a little tug with it, make it more fun than your hand or foot. If she continues to pick your hand over her favorite toy [ get one that squeaks or crinkles -- I find that 'noisy' toys have a much higher value for any pup! ] then get up, turn around, and ignore her completely for three to five minutes. That's a LONG time for a little one, and she should pick up pretty quickly that biting anything on you is waaaayy less fun than a squeaky toy.

Hope this helps!