Need ideas: Agility in an Apartment?
Okay, it's official - I'm DYING on the inside to give agility a try. I know my girl would LOVE it - she loves to run, and her walk is not complete without jumping corners of the sidewalk or walking the curb like a plank.

My problem is 3-fold: Budget, Space, Storage. I am willing to make EVERYTHING by hand but I have no clue where to start. I know a few of you have pulled this off, so I am humbly asking for some how-tos.

I want to start her off with jumps only and an introduction to a tunnel. Since she is so space sensitive, I want to go very very slow. I have some contacts here in Charleston of people who take Fenzi courses that I can work with to learn what I need to do as a handler, and I think I am going to focus the next few courses on agility (well, after August, I'll have to look at the schedule again). I just want to provide Ember with a way to move.

So, I guess lets start with the first piece - making some jumps and a tunnel (or the beginnings of a tunnel) to learn on. I already have a hoola hoop. Ideas? Suggestions? Dimensions?
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Hah, I know the feeling!! When Trico had turned 3 months I was absolutely determined to make an agility course that I could carry around with me in the trunk of my car. Trico and I spend our weeks split; 4 - 5 days at home, where I live with my boyfriend, and weekends (sometimes Mondays too) down at my mom's place 2 hours away.

I was able to make a VERY portable agility course for under 50$! It includes two markboards, an adjustable hurdle, a full set of 8 weave poles, and a three-part connectable tunnel! The only thing I had to buy that was premade was the tunnel -- I was able to find a kid's play tunnel on Amazon for under fifteen bucks.

I'd also highly suggest you get a traffic cone -- you can find them at Home Depot or Lowes for around 12 - 15 bucks. Cones are really good for teaching your pup to go around obstacles out and away from their handler. 

THIS is the site where I found the basic plan I used to create my jump -- I made it so each 'hurdle' was 6 inches higher than the last so that once Trico's growth plates fuse, I won't need to rebuild or go buy a new one. The site also has plans for a tire jump, weave poles, teeter board, pause table, etcetc.

HERE is the exact tunnel I bought; it's sectioned, so you can start Ember with a 2-foot tunnel, move up to 4 feet, then finally 6. My agility trainer was so impressed that Trico could do tunnels, mark boards, and low hurdles before he even started our private lessons.

Also, you said you had a hula hoop! If you can find a way to fashion a stable base for it, go get some smooth, cheap fabric and with two more hoops spaced a foot or two apart with fabric stretched over and maybe 6 feet of loose fabric, you can have one of the collapsing tunnels they use. [ Just an idea! I've yet to make one myself hahah ]

This is how the hurdle and weave poles turned out when we were finished! Keep in mind, for the weave poles my boyfriend Nick created a different setup than the one on the site, allowing me to be able to section them off so I could do the 2x2 method of training. 

[Image: 19665430_1692615874112214_64215169982408...e=59C39C92]

And here's my 'agility room' at my boyfriend's place. Even with the space constraints you have, it's SUPER easy to dissemble the obstacles, pack them in the car, and take them to a park or wherever. 
[Image: 19601562_1692615910778877_88545409656524...e=59C47DDE]

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions -- putting the weave poles and hurdle together took about 4, 5 hours with two of us working on it. Just don't forget to pick up a PVC cutter when you get the pipes and caps! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress~!

-- Lynn&&Trico
I can find the plans I used to set up an agility course if you want. I'll have to get back with that though. But for now carful with those jumps. The crossbar can't be attached to the jump because if the dog misses and hits it then you're at risk for an injury. Instead use these. https://www.amazon.com/jump-cups-Dog-Agi...B00ADPXDB0 (you can probably find it for cheaper somewhere else but just for an idea.)
(07-04-2017, 04:03 PM)Loyal Border Wrote: I can find the plans I used to set up an agility course if you want. I'll have to get back with that though. But for now carful with those jumps. The crossbar can't be attached to the jump because if the dog misses and hits it then you're at risk for an injury. Instead use these. https://www.amazon.com/jump-cups-Dog-Agi...B00ADPXDB0 (you can probably find it for cheaper somewhere else but just for an idea.)

Yes, I noticed the fixed jumps also. You could probably cut off the top half of the T-peices you have used so the jumps can be knocked off if hit. You have done an awesome job LynnzyLynn, very clever.
I was thinking of cutting the joints too Smile I'm so excited! I have literally $40 a week in spending so it's going to take me a while to build/collect, but this is a great start! Thanks!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Yep!

For the jumps, you do what Trifan suggested and cut the protruding bar of the T in half, leaving a little cup-like area for the bar to sit in. That way if Ember knocks into it, it simply falls off and it's a super-quick reset.

Or what I did was use a smaller diameter bar [ frame is like 1 1/2 inch, the bar of the jump itself is 3/4 inch ] and cut its length so it fits VERY loose in the T-section. Since it's diameter is smaller, it completely falls out if Trico's paws knock against it. Same concept, just a little less work. Whichever method you choose, just make sure at the slightest touch the bar comes out.

And making the hurdle by itself only cost me 12$ total I think, not including the PVC cutters. But good luck! Let us know how things go. :]
If you get the jump cups you can easily adjust the height. They snap on instead of having to be connected it to the end of a pipe.
Wow. I love that indoor assault course. I wouldn't mind having a go at that myself, never mind the dog.   Bouncing