My BC has an injured rear leg
My BC is 14 yrs old. He jumped down from the couch and injured his rear leg CCL. I have been to two vets (emergency & regular vet). All agree it's the CCL. The problem is so bad that he can't walk at all. Even with anti-inflammatory and pain meds. I have to carry him everywhere. Surgery can cost $3500, plus other expenses, such as rehab. Plus this would take about  3-4 months. I have heard a brace might help him walk. The other alternative was putting him down!

I look at his cute face and I can't do that. I know he will probably only live 2-3 more yrs. But, I want what time we still have. I'm wondering how I might find a professional, who has some experience with this situation. Calling the local shelter and/or Human Society has not been helpful. Does anyone have any other ideas? 

Doug Jacksonville, FL
I'm a bit confused. You say your pup is very young but will only live 2-3 more years? I don't know anything about CCL surgery but since your pup is so young I would bet there is a good prognoses. Can you work with the vet on a payment plan?
(08-31-2017, 09:09 PM)Tasha Wrote: I'm a bit confused.  You say your pup is very young but will only live 2-3 more years?  I don't know anything about CCL surgery but since your pup is so young I would bet there is a good prognoses.  Can you work with the vet on a payment plan?

No, the dog is 14 years old (Doug mentions age in his intro post and perhaps inadvertently miss typed it here) hence the concern about trauma and expense of surgery. I can't help with any advice as to alternatives, tough choices to be made.
Sorry! I didn't see the intro post and with the typo. thought the dog was a puppy.
My suggestion would be to have a consult with a vet who specializes in orthopedic surgery. The vet would take into consideration the dogs age along with the recovery time needed. 

The vet also may have a brace your boy could wear rather than having surgery. 

It's a very hard decision to make and one we all have to make if we are pet owners. I try to think of the quality of my dogs life and do what is best for them.

I don't envy your decision. Keep us posted on how he is doing and I'm sending prayers for both of you.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Some info here might help:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/acl-injuries-in-dogs#2

Sunny