Hail Storm.
We have had an incredibly dry winter, absolutely no rain whatsoever for winter and most of the preceding autumn. Our water tanks are scarily low and the property is mostly dead grass and dust.

Yesterday we welcomed a massive storm and with it came huge hail stones that seemed to pelt down for ages. It piled up over 1 1/2ft high against the house and other objects and covered the ground, looking almost like snow. I was so very proud of the boys. Max has experienced one minor hail storm before but for Jasper it was a first. The noise was intense as our corrugated iron roof, particularly the surrounding verandah's echoed the noise of golf ball size hail crashing down.

Max just lay on the floor snoozing and Jasper watched with curiosity through a doorway for a minute before he too settled into a snooze. The thunder and lightening was not even acknowledged by either of them.

It highlighted for me the benefits of putting effort into desensitising our young pups to noise. With both my boys I did all manner of silly things to create noise deliberately during their early months and it really has paid off.
Happy the dogs weren't upset by the noise. 

I worked endlessly with Obi from day 1 and he still turned out to not like storms, gun shots and fireworks. We have come leaps and bounds with storms. Gun shots seem to be happening daily now and he is doing OK for now. 
Fireworks are the worst. He goes from zero to one hundred in the blink of an eye. 

I hope you didn't have any damage from the hail.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Wow, that sounds scarry. Good job to both of them! 5210

Does the hail help with your water issue?
(09-24-2017, 04:11 PM)Loyal Border Wrote: Wow, that sounds scarry. Good job to both of them! 5210

Does the hail help with your water issue?

I think the hail does help with absorption into the ground. When it gets this dry, heavy rain just runs off in sheets down hill as the ground is quite hydrophobic. The slower melting hail allows time for more to actually penetrate.
Shortly afterwards I got a drink of water from the kitchen tap and it was really cold, just as if I had taken it from the fridge. The tanks were so low that all the hail slowly melting off and running in from the roof gutters gave us ice water on tap because there was too little already in the tanks to dilute the chill LOL.
Overall it will buy us a few more weeks and rain is predicted for mid October. I hate buying in water because it comes from a town supply and is yucky after becoming accustomed to rain water. There is currently a 2 week wait with any of the water carriers anyway so fingers crossed.

OB.  No significant damage, just a few of our fly screens got torn up with the impact but they are pretty old and new wire was in order anyway. They were nylon mesh so I will replace with the stronger wire mesh. Many trees and shrubs have been shredded like confetti but they will recover well. Fortunately we are able to have our vehicles under cover. Aww, poor little Obi, there's always going to be exceptions, you can only do your best and then just offer what comfort you can. I am so grateful we don't have to deal with fireworks and gun shots.
I'm glad you didn't get any major damage. My mom used to be on catchment, I can't imagine the worry of not having enough water.
(09-24-2017, 05:18 PM)Tasha Wrote: I'm glad you didn't get any major damage.  My mom used to be on catchment, I can't imagine the worry of not having enough water.

We do pretty well most times because being water wise just becomes a way of life. In 27 years we have only purchased water 4 times. It does however become an issue when you have house guests because city folk just don't get it and my  cousin from Sydney is the worst. There have been times I have tried to put her off but subtlety just doesn't reach her and she is a hot head who takes easy offence if you are more direct. LOL  She vows and declares that she gets it but oh lordy she doesn't have a clue. Last time she came we were really worried about the water so it was a stressful week. On the day she was to leave she gathered her 3 children saying, "come on kids, we can all wash our hair in the lovely soft rain water one last time". Agh, I just snapped and went to the closet, grabbed a stack of caps and beanies from my partner collection and said, " here, this ought to cover you for the short plane trip home, nobody will ever know you all haven't washed your hair since YESTERDAY". Hmm, she hasn't asked to come up in a long while LOL
Purchasing water 4 times in 27 years is a good record!  I guess it worries me because I have never lived that way.  I have family that are on well water and I am really careful when we visit.  Not that I over indulge on water living in the desert but I am mindful of houses that can't just turn on the tap and expect water.  

I live in an area where most of the houses are on a septic tank.  Most of the homes I have lived in as an adult were on septic.  Many years ago I was talking to a former neighbour and she was going on and on about the amount of bleach she used to clean her house to make everything 'clean'.  I stared at her, horrified, and explained that it wasn't a good idea to use that much bleach when your house had a septic tank.  She didn't know that her house wasn't connected to the sewer. Frantic  I had a friend that was building a house and told me she didn't know what she was going to do once they moved in.  Her new house had a septic tank and she had never lived with that.... I informed her that the house she had lived in for the past three years was on septic.  

Many years ago we lived in a house in a huge subdivision that was on septic.  When we put the home on the market to sell the state law was that the tank had to be pumped.  I called a company and they sent out two really nice guys to handle that and when they were done one of them said, "That tank was really clean, you should give lessons on how to take care of a septic tank."  And I wondered, "Is that a compliment?" Huh
Good boys indeed! Good on you that the desensitization worked! I'm having to work with Ember some now too, mainly around "scary" manhole covers that give off the softest thud when walked on - they are to be skirted as wide as possible. Thunder and fireworks, no biggie! I guess she has seen IT Tongue

I'm glad the damage is managable and you are getting the water you need. I'm curious to the taste now!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
(09-25-2017, 01:28 PM)Ember Wrote: Good boys indeed! Good on you that the desensitization worked! I'm having to work with Ember some now too, mainly around "scary" manhole covers that give off the softest thud when walked on - they are to be skirted as wide as possible. Thunder and fireworks, no biggie! I guess she has seen IT Tongue

I'm glad the damage is managable and you are getting the water you need. I'm curious to the taste now!

The taste is absolutely pure. It might sound odd, but you don't realise how lovely the taste of pure nothing actually is until you use rain water. Crisp and clean. Although you don't need to we also run our drinking water through a double under sink filter however if I am working in the yard I'll drink from the hose LOL. When we visit the coast or family in the city we find the water disgusting. 

Another difference is that because the water has not been caught in dam's and pipes it is very low in minerals particularly calcium so it is very soft water. Soap, shampoo, detergent and washing powder really lathers up big time. In our washing machine we have to literally use 1/2 the amount of washing powder or suds would flow everywhere. Actually we use 1/2 the amount of everything otherwise rinsing soap off and shampoo out is a bit difficult and wastes a lot of water.
A lot of city folk install rainwater tanks to catch water for their gardens and laundry because they have to pay for what they use and almost everyone I know gets excess water bills. They cannot however drink it because there is just too many pollutants on their roofs in urban areas. Water is life and we feel blessed to be living where we can safely collect pure clean water for consumption
Your rain water sounds so nice. Our water is very high in minerals, I often tell people that it isn't a liquid but a solid. I can't stand the taste, even the water from the reverse osmosis so I buy purified water at the store to drink. I have a pool I fill for the dogs and if I leave it for a day or two with the evaporation you can see the minerals floating on the surface.