Don't put a beach dweller in the mountains without backup...
On my way home from the wedding in Virginia this weekend, I ended up hitting a deer on the highway. Someone up ahead of me hit it first and well, I put it out of it's misery, to the detriment of my engine. Thankfully it was already down for the count so my little car wasn't demolished. The bumper has to be replaced and I managed to shove the radiator, compresser, and cooling fans up agains the engine - instant overheat with 5 hours left to go to get home.

Thankfully Onstar and my car's warrantee paid for towing to the closest dealership, my hotel room, and a rental, and the rental worked with me to let me drive it home the next day, so I am home, no worse for the wear and only $15 broke. My car is still 5 hours away in Danville, Virginia, and will cost me no more than $500 (and most likely exactly) to get it fixed - thankfully the rest is covered by insurance.

Moral of the story - if you have the options of Onstar/Dealer Warrantee - TAKE IT!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Oh No. So sorry this happened to you. Vehicles can be fixed. Are you OK?
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

I am fine - better than I thought. Apparently I'm not very sympathetic towards wildlife - however if it's a pet type animal it is crushing. All I can think of is who might be missing a baby. As it stands, I didn't get hurt, the air bags didn't deploy, and the only unstable part of me mentally is being a little lost without my car.

I don't know if I feel terrible for being so okay with it, but yea, I'm fine Smile.

I think your reaction is pretty normal and perhaps you are being a bit hard on yourself thinking you are not as sympathetic to wildlife. The animal was killed rather than injured and suffering and I think that makes a difference to feelings.You may well have felt differently had there been suffering, particularly if there was nothing you could do to help. Also, when it is a domestic creature and you as a person who understands the relationship between a domestic animal and it's owner, there is an instant empathy for not just the animal but also the human that own's that animal and that's a whole different picture.

When I hit a cow in the middle of the night, it wasn't killed but very badly injured. The police attended and after all details were taken they were happy to walk away. I just couldn't bare the thought of leaving that animal suffering and I pressured the police to shoot it and put it out of it's suffering. They were so reluctant because in Oz if an officer discharges there firearm there is lot's of paperwork and even an incident such as this must go across the desk of the ethical standards unit. In the end I won the debate and the officer killed the animal after which I was fine with it but I sure wouldn't have been able to just drive away and leave that cow suffering.

Same with kangaroo's which are frequently hit. If killed we check the pouch for babies and then simply move it off the road. If not killed it is entirely different and not unusual to wake the nearest vet from his sleep.

So glad you are OK
The important thing is that you're alright. Glad you're fine.
Thank you Trifan - you are very right in that regard. So much easier knowing it didn't suffer. I couldn't imagine hitting a cow! I'm glad you fought for that one.

(10-03-2017, 06:52 PM)Ember Wrote: Thank you Trifan - you are very right in that regard. So much easier knowing it didn't suffer. I couldn't imagine hitting a cow! I'm glad you fought for that one.

It was pretty freaky but fortunately I had slowed down a lot already. My partner was travelling ahead of me on his motorbike as he helps me set up at the market and it was about 3am. He had come across 3 cows on the road, so he chased them off and turned around so his headlight would warn me. He didn't know there was a 4th cow in the bushes and just as I got there and was slowing down it darted out across the road to be with it's herd members. My airbag didn't deploy either but the damage was similar to how you describe your cars damage and to the tune of AU$11.600 but the insurance company fortunately still valued my car as worth fixing rather than righting off. It just all seemed to happen in slow motion. I hope you are not without your car for too long, we become so reliant on them and don't really realise how much so until without them.
Yikes! I'm glad you are ok. And I've had much the same experience hitting wildlife. Dead is ok, but suffering is heartbreaking.
Gotta love 'em.