Conjunctivitis
Max woke up on Saturday morning with a pussy discharge from his eye and it went down hill pretty fast throughout the day. Of course typical of Max, he never has anything go wrong during the more convenient other 5 days of the week, always after vet hours. I decided to take him in to the vet first thing Monday but the way it was deteriorating concerned me as by afternoon his eyeball was red and inflamed and the eye drooping. Fortunately I had some human eye drops for conjunctivitis in the fridge so I put some in before bed. Hmm a somewhat anxious dog and eye drops was tricky as he got a little growly with just trying to clean the area with a warm damp cloth.

I got a sizeable chunk of liver treat and held onto it as he tried to chew on it from the side of his mouth. Holding it downwards turned his head a little sideways and put his sore eye in a good position to administer drops. Yay done !
This morning (Sunday) I think there could be improvement. There was no puss as one might expect to be present first thing in the morning. His eye is still very red and droopy but perhaps a little less droopy. I cleaned the area and administered more drops this morning and will do the same at midday and evening.
I am pretty sure human eye drops for conjunctivitis are OK but please tell me if you think I am mistaken.
I can't answer on the drops one way or the other. Happy to hear there was some improvement though. I tend to think if something I use didn't make it worse it must be OK to use. Hope that is your case also and he is better in the morning.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

I'm with OB on this one both in ability to answer and in assumption. Hopefully it's nothing serious! Keep us updated Sad
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
We have had an amazing result. With just 4 applications it seems to have completely cleared up but I will continue treatment just for today. I am amazed at how quickly it worked because it was really quite bad, very scary looking and had I not had any result from the first application I would have called the vet on Sunday morning.  I don't think there is a need to go to the vet now.

I wouldn't give any internal meds I wasn't sure about but I figured human eye drops were highly unlikely to be dangerous to a dogs eye. I'll be getting a fresh unopened bottle of those drops to keep for the doggy first aid kit. It flared up so bad, so quickly and I am so glad I happened to have them on hand in an after hours situation.
Glad it cleared up! Wonder what caused it!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
(10-15-2017, 02:48 PM)Ember Wrote: Glad it cleared up! Wonder what caused it!

48 hours beforehand the boys joined in on a BC play date with 13 other BC's. They all get on so well even Jasper who doesn't really like dogs of any other breed. We have had a lot of rain and with a total of 15 dogs all running for a ball I suppose there was a lot of stuff being flicked in the air. They all also jump in and out of a trough of water to cool down. I am thinking the germ may have been introduced during this event but who would know for sure. Might have come from contact with one of the other dogs but I doubt it as none had obvious sore eyes and they don't really get kissy,kissy with each other. Jasper hasn't caught it from Max and they are right in each others faces. Yep, I'm thinking something germy has been flicked in his eye.
The only issue with using eye drops on hand is if there is a corneal scratch and the eye drops contain any steroid, it could cause major problems. Usually, conjunctivitis, tearing up, and swelling is due to a corneal scratch. I don't go into panic mode over goopy eyes, but as soon as I see swelling and light sensitivity, I get the dog in to be seen. Not getting an eye treated quickly can go south quickly. Eyes are very delicate.
Gotta love 'em.
I have actually made an appointment for tomorrow morning (Tuesday). Today the river has flooded over and we are pretty much trapped on an island.  Although it is a lot better, it is not fully clearing up and appears to have now spread to the other eye. Both eyes now have a goopy discharge so it would seem a more appropriate treatment is needed. Neither eye is like the right one was on Saturday with the redness and droopy bottom lid. Thanks GM, good point about the cornea. With the way it has now spread to the other eye, I think fortunately it isn't a scratched cornea.
Well that was a crazy hour. A neighbour rang to see if I wanted anything in town because he was putting his little boat in to cross the river. The radar shows huge rains coming overnight which will mean the river isn't going down any time soon and will be running too fast for a boat tomorrow.
Rang the vet, they squeezed me in and Max had his first boat trip in torrential rain. The neighbours brother picked us up on the other side and took us in to town.
Turns out that it is bacterial and he has been given Doxycycline tablets, apparently it then comes out in the tears and does the job.
4225 What an adventure to get to the vet. Very happy to hear he will be fine.  

The question is, will you be fine with the rising water?
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]