Dog behaviors
What do you think? 

https://animalchannel.co/16-dog-tips/?ut...paign=dogs

Zoe was displaying a tucked tail from what I assumed was pain. Now after being on meds for arthritis no more tucked tail.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Micah does the tight tail tuck when we first start our walk. Once he sees what else is out and about, he relaxes.
Gotta love 'em.
The tail straight up isn't exactly correct. I've been taught it equates to arousal, not confidence. Ears go up with the tail and is paired with a hard, locked stare. Ember does this when she sees another dog coming around the corner, and she is not an assertive or confident dog - but in that situation she is aroused, sometimes negatively (hackles may go up too) and sometimes positively (wants to meet the dog). She also does this if she things squirrels are nearby (IE when we pass a certain group of trees that they are ALWAYS around). Once we get pass them she usually has to shake it off before tail and ears come back down. If she doesn't shake it off she is looking in every direction trying to find something to disperse the energy on to.

Also the stare is a direct challenge for other dogs (not for humans though, in which the written assessment is correct - she wants something LOL). Ember has set off many a dog with that BC stare and then she feels she has to react to the dog she set off because it is now a scary thing LOL.

The paw on the knee I think is completely wrong. Again, this is something Ember does looking for pets - not dominance. She is not an assertive dog. The guesture is a cry of attention, and it doesn't lead to anything but walking off if she gives up or a slap to my hand, arm, face if she is particularly pushy that day.

I am not sure how knowledgable the person who wrote this article is. They do not cover that combined all these signs mean different things, and some of the illustrations do not match the written explanation (exposing teeth without snarling should be a lip lift, not a pant, for example).

... I think I need to not study so much - I take all this too seriously LOL!
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
I doubt it is a real serious article. All that was mentioned can be taken many different ways. I don't believe all dogs act or react in the same way. 

As far as the pain response, it was true for Zoe. We had an appointment scheduled to get the pain meds for about a week. She started doing the tight tail tuck 3 days before the appointment. Two days after the pain meds were started she untucked her tail. 
On the other hand, a tight tail tuck can mean many different things.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

I've seen dogs in pain do that, yes. I read it as they don't know why it hurts, which unnerves them (thus the tucked tail)? It's a thought, maybe LOL
[Image: e5Qmm5.png]

Gotcha Day: November 14, 2015
Vet-Listed Birthday: May 2, 2014
Interesting read but perhaps a little misleading if taken as a finite conclusion by a new dog owner as the same behaviour can mean different things according to the situation.

I do agree with number 2 in a given situation and have attached a photo of when Jasper met up with his dad for the first time after we brought him home. If you look at Jaspers body language I think he reads his dads (Hugo) body language as suggested in the article. It is relevant to add that Jasper is not a fearful or nervous boy, he is quite bold so that makes a difference as to how to read his response to Hugo. However both my boys exhibit the same behaviour as Hugo is with alertness as well.

I think the tail tuck also indicates several things including pain. Thanks to Max's pica we get far too many opportunities to observe pain behaviour and this is certainly one of them. As a dog prone to fearfulness/ anxiousness it is also a behaviour he exhibits in circumstances such as initially greeting the vet and/or nurse even when pain is not a factor. Fortunately they take the time to help him get comfortable before going any further.

I think the lip licking and yawning summaries are very inadequate. While lip licking is associated with nervousness and/or discomfort over something it is also a strong indicator of nausea. Likewise the yawning if excessive is an indicator of pain and physical discomfort. When Max has a rock on board he has the whole lot going on, tail tuck, lip licking, yawning as well as stretching out excessively.

The paw on knee thing reeks of the opinions of a DT advocate and again can mean many things (other than dominance) in different circumstances. With Max it's usually a request for attention and like Ember escalates further when ignored. Max will start nudging me with his paw. Not saying it is a behaviour that I encourage or don't correct but it is definitely not dominance but instead nagging for something, most often when they haven't had their outdoor games yet and I am on the computer.
Jasper doesn't do this but he is a great one for settling on the lounge beside me and putting one leg/paw on my lap. Again, it is not dominance but instead affection and his way of connecting with me when he is chilled out. I find it quite endearing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reasonably accurate, if the dog is a husky. BCs have their own reasons for doing things.
Gotta love 'em.
(10-17-2017, 01:59 PM)Trifan Wrote: ... a rock on board ...

Huh? Huh  Unfamiliar with that expression.

Thanks to all for the insights - my master was a bit worried about my coming over to him and putting my paw up on his leg, but now he accepts that I just want a little attention, not trying to be dominant. Smile

Sunny
(10-18-2017, 06:02 AM)Sunny Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 01:59 PM)Trifan Wrote: ... a rock on board ...

Huh? Huh  Unfamiliar with that expression.

Thanks to all for the insights - my master was a bit worried about my coming over to him and putting my paw up on his leg, but now he accepts that I just want a little attention, not trying to be dominant. Smile

Sunny
haha, yes that would sound odd without knowing Max's history. Max has somewhat of an eating disorder known as Pica and is prone to swallowing huge rocks. "On board" as in, on board a train or ship. Hence, rock on board Max. Sorry, speaking in Aussie slang I suppose.