new puppy + old cats... HELP!
Well I've had Harvey for 2 weeks now and the cats are still not pleased, they will not come into the living room by themselves and just HATE Harvey. However he doesn't make it any better by chasing after them at every opportunity.
Ive been putting him in his crate and bringing the cats in, they dont mind that too much, but when I put him on his lead and make them sit in the living room, well they hiss and hide away, and Harvey just stares at them, trying to get at them to play. Every time I get his attention or when he looks away from the cats I reward him, but none of it is making a difference! The cats are starting to pee upstairs under our beds & the smell is AWFUL, it's just getting out of hand.
I just want them to get along! Or if that will never happen, I want them to tolerate each other.
Can anyone help??! Sad
[Image: smallerharveyimage.jpg]

[Image: zt29.png]
It takes cats a lot longer to "tolerate" new pets than a dog, I would recommend getting Feliway plug in around the house, extra litter boxes and a place where the cats can go to hide with NO puppy or puppy smell. Older cats may never like the puppy but in time put up with him, just give it time. Good luckBig Grin
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera
I was thinking about getting that Feliway stuff, but I didnt know if it actually worked!
Yeah I thought about the litter boxes may try that to Smile
The puppy isnt allowed upstairs so thats the cats safe haven Tongue

Give the cats a lot of places to get up high and away from the pup. Cats always like a view from above.
Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be. -Temple Grandin
nothing is working. harvey wont calm down near them for me to let the cats just sniff him and to get used to him, he just lunges & chases and the cats run away, ive got him in the crate just now and shes hiding under the table, the other cat is outside! harvey wont stop crying to get out to the cat, which is making the cat so much more stressed! argh, i dunno what to do, the cats were here first so if its the dog or the cats, the cats stay :'( but i wont give up just yet. its just really stressing and all i want is for them to live together peacefully! should i let the cat swipe him on the nose?
what should i do :'(

(10-24-2011, 11:16 AM)katy_harvey Wrote: I was thinking about getting that Feliway stuff, but I didnt know if it actually worked!
Yeah I thought about the litter boxes may try that to Smile
The puppy isnt allowed upstairs so thats the cats safe haven Tongue

The Feliway plug ins really do work, I have them in three places in my house and I always tell when they are running low! Let me know how everything works for you!

Attached Files
.jpg   Monster (1 of 1)-17.jpg (Size: 553.06 KB / Downloads: 123)
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera