Holiday Hazards
#1
As most of you know some things can be dangerous to our pets. This is a short list, just as a reminder, to keep our holiday's safe for our pets.



Chocolate. Chocolate contains a substance which can be toxic to pets. Baking chocolate is the worst, followed by dark chocolate, semi-sweet and lastly milk chocolate. Dr. Diane says pets with chocolate toxicity can have vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, very fast heartbeats and may even die.

Raisins And Grapes. These contain a toxin that can cause kidney failure in susceptible pets. Not all dogs and cats that eat raisins and grapes develop problems, but some can develop live-threatening kidney failure.
Onions. Pieces of onion, onion powder, or even cooked onion, can cause damage to red blood cells which could result in anemia in both dogs and cats.

Macadamia Nuts. Macadamia Nuts may cause problems if eaten by dogs. Signs can included weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and high fever.

Rising Bread Dough. If your dog eats rising bread dough, it can be life-threatening. The pet's body heat will cause the dough to rise in the stomach. The dough may expand several times it's original size. Signs may include severe abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting and depression. This is a true emergency.

Mistletoe, Holly, Christmas Roses And Lilies. Mistletoe can be very toxic and even fatal if ingested by pets. Small amounts of Holly usually cause vomiting and diarrhea, but larger amounts can be fatal. The Christmas Rose is moderately toxic, with vomiting and diarrhea most often seen. Lilies are potentially fatal to cats, as they can cause kidney failure. The toxicity of Poinsettias is generally overrated. Large quantities must be eaten for signs to develop. Most cats just experience mild vomiting that resolves with little or no treatment.

Tinsel, Ribbon and String. Cats in particular are attracted to the shinny tinsel, ribbons and string that adorn holiday trees and packages. These can be deadly if swallowed. Dr. Diane says these objects often become wrapped around the cat's tongue and are swallowed. When they enter the intestines, they can cause the intestines to perforate, often with deadly results for the cat. Cats with these foreign bodies can have several signs: they may vomit, not eat, try unsuccessfully to defecate and become very lethargic. Dr. Diane cautions that cat owners who see their cats trying to defecate a piece of tinsel or string should not pull on it, as serious consequences can develop.

Toy Parts. Dogs in particular are prone to picking up and eating small toy parts that are left strewn around the house. These parts often are too large to be defecated and can cause life-threatening intestinal obstructions. It is not uncommon for us to see dogs each holiday season who have eaten part of a child's toy and must undergo surgery to remove it.

Silica Gel Packets. Those little gel packets that absorb moisture in soap boxes, electronics, medications and food can be dangerous to your pet if eaten. They are attractive to pets because of the rustling noise, and the packets are easy to bat around. With small amounts eaten, mild gastrointestinal upset may occur. If a larger amount is eaten, there is a potential for serious diarrhea to occur. If your pet eats an intact packet, it may cause an obstruction that could require surgery to remove.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Reply
#2
Thanks Linda!!! I was always fearful of poinsettas.
Tammy...with the polka dot bcs!
[Image: 002-1-1.gif]
Reply
#3
Thank you Linda, these are really good reminders!
I asked god for a best friend and he gave me a Border Collie Heart
Reply
#4
great reminders Smile
[Image: banner-1-1.jpg]
pron. aous-roon & fly-gyah
Reply
#5
Thanks for posting this. Awesome information. Smile
Gabby, Athena, & Trout
The best handler in the world is the one whose dog is having the most fun.

[Image: CD_15485_174335_athenaGraves_a1064195-1-1.jpg]
Reply
#6
"...and become very lethargic."

Uh oh. That's definitely a symptom in our cat!
-- Mike --
Reply
#7
If I might include one addition....

This is not just during holidays but it may be more prevalent during holidays because we might want to give our dogs a treat as we have our dinners.

A friend of mine had, on her Facebook page, a doberman with a marrow bone stuck through its lower jaw. I looked it up and found there are incidents like that. I then found this article and thought I might share it.

http://www.newtownvets.com/remove-bone-s...-dogs-jaw/
Reply
#8
Good reminders! Thanx! Big Grin
Reply
#9
Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but during my research before getting Ash I found this page pretty useful. Would never have dreamt that Avocado could be toxic!!

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pe...rdous-dogs
Reply
#10
I have also read that some fruit seeds can be also toxic to dogs. Just an FYI. Also be careful some peanut butters use Xylitol (sp?) an artificial sweetner to replace sugar. This is highly toxic to all dogs. It's acts similar to antifreeze.

Some plants are also toxic, Poinsettas

I have to watch my kiddos and tell them not to give Blue anything that is not his treats without asking me first. I would hate to have anything happen to him because of that.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)