Training Info 4 - 6 months
Add your videos and helpful info.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

The Restrained Recall-

I played this game with Athena when she was a puppy. It really helps build a wonderful recall. Also, you can go hide when you are doing this. It makes your puppy really want to come to you.
Here is some videos of Athena doing the restrained recall. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns. Smile

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383...nt=012.mp4

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383...nt=011.mp4
Gabby, Athena, & Trout
The best handler in the world is the one whose dog is having the most fun.

[Image: CD_15485_174335_athenaGraves_a1064195-1-1.jpg]
Its a bit long..(5 mins) Sorry!

Still working on Self control - and starting to really extend behaviours now. Nose touching - heelwork duration. I have still not worked too much on stays as I do not want her to switch off to training.
The self control on the toy is enough for now, although we also do some sits/downs with me taking some steps into her side.
Hannah
The only mistakes my dogs make are the ones I've taught them!
[Image: DSC00134-1.gif]
I was just wondering, how do you get her to keep her nose on your hand for longer than a tap? Harvey does touch, but only a tap. Would I just withold a treat until he kept his nose on my palm for longer? Or is there a whole other method on how to do it?
[Image: smallerharveyimage.jpg]

[Image: zt29.png]
I start by asking for multiple touches (removing my hand between each one)....(as you can see in the video) - once the dog has done 2/3/4 they get the reward (in this case the toy). Then I start to keep my hand there, and ask for multiple. Once the dog gets the hang of this - I start to only reward if the dog maintains for a few seconds.
Hannah
April doing downstays and sitstays.

And loose leash walking - filming from an awkward angle though.

[Image: sig-1_zps237e0701.jpg]
(02-24-2012, 06:06 AM)Tassle Wrote: I start by asking for multiple touches (removing my hand between each one)....(as you can see in the video) - once the dog has done 2/3/4 they get the reward (in this case the toy). Then I start to keep my hand there, and ask for multiple. Once the dog gets the hang of this - I start to only reward if the dog maintains for a few seconds.

Ahh ok thanks Big Grin I am going to try this Smile

Oh also, Hannah, how do you get a dog to touch something other than your hand with their nose?

(02-24-2012, 07:09 PM)katy_harvey Wrote: Oh also, Hannah, how do you get a dog to touch something other than your hand with their nose?

I do it a couple of ways - Either shaping with a clicker. (Can take a while depending on how inventive your pup is) Or use an article that you can hold in your hand (Old CD, Coaster, Tile - some people use post it notes).

Start the same way - offer the dog the target in your hand - then move it down to the floor. Once you hand (with the target) is on the floor, place the target on the floor and remove your hands completely (behind you back). Jackpot reward the first couple of times the dog hits the target and they should be Ok from there.
Hannah
Thank you Big Grin You know it is so simple, but I would never have figured that out on my own, unless I googled it /lol